SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I only import one TDMS signal at a time in Signal Express?

I have dozens of data files which were originally recorded as LabVIEW waveform files.  I converted them all to TDMS in LabVIEW in hopes that I could import them to Signal Express (with the S&V Suite) for further processing.  Each data file contains more than 20 channels.

When I try to import them to SE, I am unable to import the entire group.  Instead, I am limited to one channel at a time.  This would take days to import all channels, and is not what I want at all.  Is there some way to import an entire group of channels at once?

JR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,558 Views)

Hi AEI_JR,

I'm wondering how exactly you're trying to import your TDMS files into Signal Express?  Are you following the directions in the following KB: Unable to Import TDMS Files Created in LabVIEW into LabVIEW SignalExpress? Attached to this KB is a.zip file that will assist you in importing your TDMS files to Signal Express.  I'd love to know if you've already tried this, or if this solves the problem you're having. Good luck, and have a great day!

aBowman

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,538 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I have read that write-up.  I am running SE 3.0, and the option for importing TDMS files appears to be native, so I have not downloaded or installed the zip file referenced.  I am not able to select an entire group, though, as is mentioned.  The software will only enable the "Convert File" button if single channels are selected.  Clicking on the group does not enable the conversion button, nor is the group highlighted.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,535 Views)

Hi AEI_JR,

I, as well, have SE 3.0, but appear to only have the option to Import "Logged Signals from Signal Express TDMS files" rather than "Logged Signals from LabVIEW TDMS file" as the KB refers to.  It may be worth double checking to see if the option you have is for Signal Express or for LabVIEW. 

One other suggestion if this still doesn't work is to write all of your channels to a Measurement File.  Because you can read in one TDMS file to Signal Express, I believe you should be able to use the "Write to Measurement File.vi" to write all of your channels to one file which you can then choose to read in.  This Express VI is found on the Functions Palette»Express»Output»Write to Measurement file.  By wiring multiple inputs to this Express VI, they are automatically bundled together.  When configuring this Express VI, note that you will need to change the default file type to TDMS.  Hope this helps!

aBowman

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,513 Views)

I was using the "Logged Signals from LabVIEW TDMS file" import; perhaps I had installed it on SE 2.5 before upgrading to 3.0.  Regardless, I downloaded the ZIP file, and ran the msi with the "Repair" function.  This did not change the functionality.  I then used your suggestion, and redigitized one of the files with the Express VI set for TDMS.  Same deal, although instead of the channel names I had been able to specify using the TDMS subVIs, now it lists them all as "Voltage_x", where x is a channel number beginning with 0.

I've attached two images as examples of what I'm experiencing.  The first (temp1.JPG) shows where I've tried to select the entire group.  You can see that "Convert File" is not enabled, and the sample information has not been read.  The second image (temp2.JPG) shows where I've selected a channel.  I am only able to select one channel, not a range.  The "Convert File" button is now enabled, and sample information is correctly displayed.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,507 Views)

Thanks so much for the screen shots!  It seems that importing multiple channels at the same time is not a native feature in Signal Express, and you may be limited to doing them one at a time.  I'll continue to research this and see if there's a work around.  Because it is not a native feature, the installer that allows you to import signals would most likely need to be modified.  Have a great weekend!

aNIta B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,488 Views)

Anita,

It's several months later, and a new version of SE has been released.  This issue has yet to be seriously addressed even now.  Has there been any progress made?  Many hours have been lost at our end trying to make this happen . . .

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,034 Views)

Hi JR,

We've updated the tool to handle multiple channels as well as support the new TDMS 2.0 format. For more details and for the installer, please check the KB 4FIBL6SK: Unable to Import TDMS Files Created in LabVIEW or Newer Versions of SignalExpress into .... If you have any quesitons or run into issues, do post back. Thank you

Message 8 of 8
(7,029 Views)