From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow USB signal aquisition for Tektronix TDS2012B

I would like to monitor the Channel 1 signal in real-time from a Tektronix 2012B oscilloscope on my desktop computer.  The TDS2012B scope has a USB 2.0 output, and is compatible with LabView SignalExpress.  I have downloaded and installed LabView SignalExpress, and connected the scope to a USB 2.0 port on my computer. A message appeared saying that the driver was successfully installed, and SignalExpress autostarts and loads the TDS1000/2000 project.  I've unchecked "SignalExpress controls the instrument" and clicked "Run" to have it run continuously.  It is in "Monitor/Record" mode.

The scope is externally triggered by a function generator at 50Hz, and I would like to see this same repetition rate on my desktop.  Instead, I see a update rate of <0.5Hz (updates once every 2-3 seconds).  Is this performance to be expected, or could someone help me configure SignalExpress to update at 50Hz?

The one thing I tried was to go "Tools > Options > Execution > Signal View Update Rate" and changed it from 80 (ms) to 10 (ms), but this had no effect.  No other programs were running.

Here are some useful specs:

Desktop Computer:

Dell Optiplex 780

Windows 7 Enterprise, 32 bit

4 GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz

Oscilloscope:

Tektronix

TDS2012B

2 Channel Digital Storage Oscilloscope

100MHz 1GS/s

SignalExpress:

ver 2.5.1

EDIT:

This did not appear in my search for topics, but I noticed that there is a similar thread here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/SignalExpress/SignalExpress-TE-Very-Slow-Getting-Signals/td-p/710984

The TDS2012B manual can be found here:

http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/madetails.lotr?ct=MA&cs=mur&ci=16272&lc=EN

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,232 Views)

Hi dataaq,

Thank you for your very detailed post!  I have looked a little further at this issue, and I did find another Discussion Forum post regarding this same topic.  Did you upgrade from LabVIEW SignalExpress Tektronix Edition to LabVIEW Signal Express 2.5?  I have attached a KnowledgeBase article that might shed some light on this issue.  I have also attached a link to the Discussion Forum where another user has seen similar issues in the past.  Please let me know if this helps!  Have a great day!

Upgrading SignalExpress Tektronix Edition to LabVIEW SignalExpress Results in Limited Functionality

Discussion Forum:

Loss of Tektronix functionality with Signal Express 2.0 vs. Tektronix Edition?

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,211 Views)

Did this ever get resolved? I'm having the same issue, very slow update rate

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,456 Views)

danbeckett,

I'm not sure if this was ever resolved, but it seems like a common issue. Do we know what the maximum data transfer rate is from the Tektronix? It may be worth contacting Tektronix to see if they have any ideas as well.

Robert B
RF Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,440 Views)

Hello All,

I am using a TDS 2014 with GPIB and get the same very slow transfer rate as described in the previous posts.  I have used older tek scopes such as the TDS3034 and TDS3054 with 10k record length and got real time displays in LabVIEW V8.5 but I suspect that these models only will deliver very slow data transfer rates.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,103 Views)

Hello

I am also facing the same issue with tektronix tds2024c scope. reading one channel takes 250 milli second in my case, where my applcation needs to read 4 channel.Reading that may cause a reading rate of 4x250 thats one scond. Is there any solution for this issue

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,805 Views)

Hey there,

Since this post is pretty old you might have more luck creating another post. However just to let you know I've searched to see if I could find any resolution to this issue internally but have not found one so far. I think it may be worthwhile to reach out to Tektronix to see if they are aware of the issue or have any recommendations. 

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,791 Views)