SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read data from serial port and log it

Hi there!

I have no experience dealing with Signalexpress

Im trying to read data from serial port COM2.

I would like to colect data and log it with signal express. 

Here you told me that I can do so if it is IVI.

Well my instrument is multipoint measuring unit HBM UPM60 

I was looking for drivers here and I saw for HBM DMC, MGC and MGC Plus. but not for mine. 

My goal is to colect data from that amplifier by serial port.  

Thanks in advance

Signal Express 2011, WinXP, NI PCI 6221, Ni cDAQ 9174, Ni 9235
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,814 Views)

Hello janek81,

First of all, to use SignalExpress with a 3rd party instrument it is necessary to have the IVI-C driver properly installed in your computer. IVI-COM drivers are not accepted:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D60A2DAF68E1FCAE862572A400058DC3?OpenDocument

After that, you will see your device in MAX and you only need to insert a IVI Step in SignalExpress and follow steps you can find in this link:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/589469164F1FCC0F86256FFF007368AD?OpenDocument

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,794 Views)

LabView SignalExpress 2013 (LVSE13) can run IVI-C only if the instrument is either a DMM or SCOPE.  So, a DMM that is connected via serial port and has a IVI-C published specific to that DMM should run in LVSE13.  However, no IVI-C for the serial port "instrument" alone can run in LVSE13 since such an instrument is neither a DMM nor SCOPE.  It matters not that an IVI-C for serial com port is available for LV, or VISA, or any other NI platform.

Conceptually, an IVI-C is a VI less the connection panel and visual interface to create a GUI.  Since LVSE13 is a visual programming platform, and an IVI-C does not provide the GUI, then LVSE13 must provide that GUI on its own.  It is fortunate that NI provided in LVSE13 two pre-programmed generic IVI-C GUI panels for a DMM and a SCOPE instrument.  It is unfortunate that LVSE13 has no other IVI-C instrument GUI for something as fundamental as a serial port, nor sensor, nor balance, nor etc.

BTW, the only other method of connecting LVSE to a serial instrument is with a LV VI that is packaged as a LLB.  LV LLB can be run by LVSE via the "Run LabVIEW 20xx (32-bit) VI" steps.  Of course, this step is a misnomer since LVSE cannot run a LV VI.  From the LVSE13 on-line help "Note  VIs you use in your Run LabVIEW VI step must be reentrant and must be in LLBs or development distributions."

I am always frustrated when others state that LVSE can run any LV VI for some instrument, which is not accurate.  LVSE13 can only run an instrument that has a LLB, and of the correct configuration in terms of LV run-time version and Plug And Play (not "project style"), and etc.  A simple serial com port LLB was made available way back in LV version 7, but with major revisions then that LV7 LLB no longer functions in LVSE13.  I have not found a serial com port LLB that LVSE13 can run.

Please stop talking about VI and LVSE in the same breath.  LVSE cannot run LV VI.  LVSE can run only LLB.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,301 Views)

Hello, I have no clue if this is the right place to be posting this question so please forgive me.  I see the last response is like 5yrs after the last question???

I just downloaded SignalExpress and am playing with it for the first time.  I want to plot voltage from a USB-6009 and a value from a standad serial port on the computer.  The serial port on the computer is hooked to a USB strain guage from Omega, it's a very simple serial interace, you send it a character and it sends you back a value.  I can write a virtual serial port program to format the serial port data however I want.  So, it could just be sending the values continusouly if I wanted.

Is this something that is possible with SignalExpress?

Thanks,

Zach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,075 Views)

I do not believe that LVSE (LabView SignalExpress) can perform this task.  LVSE is supposed to be like a simple set of strip recorders just reading via API the instrument voltages in a PXI chassis.  Communicating with an instrument via some message protocol is nothing like reading sampled voltages.  A custom LabView virtual instrument (VI) that converts the protocol messages back into a voltage-like reading would be needed, and that VI would also need to be embedded into a LLB for LVSE to run within its limitations.  However, there are USB instruments sold by NI which are supposed to be LVSE compatible, but I have no direct knowledge.

You mentioned the ability to write code from scratch to communicate with the USB instrument, so do that and have it run as a separate thread with timestamps on the messages while also running LVSE to record other PXI instruments.  After the data are collected then post-process to collate the two data streams.  I perform a similar procedure with LVSE TDMS files and Python codes (pyTDMS) to permit advanced plotting and analysis with SciPy and Gnuplot.

Do these suggestions help you?

Message 5 of 5
(5,037 Views)