From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the frequency response step

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using Signal Express 3.0. I am not clear about the transfer functions in the frequency response step with different averaging modes. What I got from the help file is that H(f)=Sab(f)/Saa(f) which is cross spectrum over auto spectrum where a is the stimulus signal and b is the response signal. When RMS averaging is used, I am wondering whether the transfer function becomes magnitude of cross spectrum divided by magnitude of auto spectrum. When vector averaging is used, everthing is in complex numbers.Is it doing averaging of the time-domain signals, frequency domain signals or the results from transfer functions?

Thanks a lot.

Ningyu Zhao
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,849 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rico1985
The algorithm to calculate the spectrum is the same in both modes.  However, the averaging mode can have a huge effect on the result.  RMS averaging is done on the spectrum itself, after the calculation.  Vector averaging is done on the input signals before the calculation.  With vector averaging, the signals must be coherent (have the same phase) or the result will be wrong due to the signal being averaged away.
Message 2 of 2
(5,844 Views)