SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your improvement ideas & suggestions for future Signal Express releases.

sraykens wrote:

Log File metadata Project reference: I would like to suggest a line item in the .txt files that adjoin log files to show the project file used to create the log.  I've had a few that were saved as the date and time...and now I'm not sure any more details.  Many times I save the project file with test specifics (like ProductX_TestY_Date.seproj) to document the settings I used for everything...if the log files are left to just date and time (and then removed from the project file), I've lost my link to the original conditions tested.

My approach is to set the Tools...Options...Logging selections for "Save copy of project next to log files" and "Store log files next to project file" both to "Yes".  I then create a data folder where I save my Project.  Each time I create a Log, the Log folder is created in the same folder as the Project.  In the Log folder, a "RecordingSetting.seproj" is created which is a duplicate of the Project at the time the Log data was captured.  So long as the Log folder is kept intact, you will have a copy of the Project that was used to capture the data contained in the Log folder.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 93
(9,538 Views)

@OKors wrote:

...now if only the NI Forums had a Private Message option.

It does.  It is just kind of hidden.  Click on the name of the poster on the right side of the screen.  This will take you to the public info for the poster.  Below their name is a link to send a private message.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 93
(9,525 Views)

I recently contacted the LabVIEW 2011 Beta coordinator to see what, if any, changes or improvements have been made to the Signal Express platform specifically. I thought I'd pass the info along:

The first thing you'll probably notice in 2011 is a Getting Started Window. We did some work internally for Sound and Vibration Assistant and the DAQ Assistant teams. From the feedback thread on the forums we added:

• Shortcut key for importing a TDMS file

• Ability to disable a step

• Save to ASCII for multiple continuous runs to a single file

• Significant focus on addressing known issues/bugs

Seems like a great leap in the right direction!

I'm currently installing LabVIEW 2011 Beta. I'll post back with results...

SCXI- 1000 Chassis w/ 1346 adapter
PCI 6281 DAQ card
SCXI- 1520 Bridge Board w/ 1314 Terminal Block (x2)
SCXI- 1180 Feedthrough Panel w/ 1302 Block
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 93
(9,518 Views)

Quick note regarding the Beta. Make sure you download and install the LabVIEW Platform Beta. This is where SignalExpress is located.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 93
(9,514 Views)

Thanks Phil,

Wish I knew that before I downloaded and installed the standard Windows 32-bit file.

Further clarification can be found in the SigEx Beta thread HERE

PCI 6281 DAQ card
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 93
(9,506 Views)

I'm in the process of taking fatigue test data. Part of the test requirements are to record load and deflection data at certain intervals throughout the test (as the part is cycling).

For instance I took a load/deflection plot at the start of test (0 cycles), then again at 1,730 cycles, another at 3,460, etc... until total cycle count is met.

While recording data and viewing the plot as an XY graph in Signal Express I thought, how cool would it be if there was an option to preserve the previously drawn graph on the chart, while the current data graph draws over it in a different color.

If there were any changes in load or deflection as the part wears you could easily spot this as the graphs would be offset over eachother, and each successively drawn graph would be a different color.

In the XY graph properties you could easily toggle this option on or off and since it would be for visual reference only, it would not affect the saved data output file.

PCI 6281 DAQ card
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 93
(9,487 Views)

It's nice that they consider the feedback on the forum and add new functionality, but I'm dissappointed that I don't see an sensor zeroing option added. Just because of this simple missing functionality my company gave signalexpress the boot after an evaluation period and went back to HBM Spider and Catman. It's so much more userfriendly.

The developer team should communicate more on the forum, not only read it. Shouldn't be necessary to personally contact the development team to get some information about what's going on.

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 93
(9,455 Views)

Hi hibux,

You're absolutely right that it's not National Instruments policy to disclose what new features are currectly being worked on within that development cycle. This is because priorities and resources can sometimes change and having to explain why a feature that was previously advertised is no longer available is difficult. Such upcoming features are usually only detailed late on our release cycle on our Beta forums.

Since that list has already been displayed here to the general forum, I'll take the liberty to include another feature currently scheduled to appear in our upcoming release that was not listed above. We added a new step called the "Zero Offset" step. This step allows you to remove an offset from an incoming signal (or group of signals) and provides a variety of configurations to get the most desired result. The main use case we expected was likely to be used to zero your sensors and was added thanks in part to your message #8 in this thread.

Thank you for your excellent suggestions in an effort to better our product.

Phil J

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 93
(9,446 Views)

hibux, me of all people on this forum feels your pain.

I would like to add however, I believe the NI software engineers are working hard at addressing common issues, quite possibly as a result of the suggestions found in this thread. I've also had the opportunity to test-drive the latest Beta releases and so far the improvements are very incouraging. The original goal of this thread was to bring the user group together and offer suggestions in hopes that the development priority on this software would gain some traction, and based on the input from other users and the upcoming improvements, I believe a lot of our concerns are being addressed at a reasonable rate.

Regardless of where this software fails it's obvious the NI team is working hard at making it a better platform. I find it encouraging also that they look to us for feedback and take our suggestions seriously. That and the top-notch phone support is what has kept it alive for me this whole time.

Phil J, thanks for sharing that latest release info regarding zeroing. Looking forward to my Beta 2 disks to arrive in the mail.

PCI 6281 DAQ card
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 93
(9,435 Views)

Dang, I'll be darned Smiley Happy A zeroing function, that'll make it so much easier and user friendly. As I said, I really appreciate that the developers consider the feedback and does something about it, but my example is exactly why I think the developers should give a heads up on what's going on. If we would've known that zeroing was being looked into we might have stuck with SignalExpress instead of going back to Catman, but not a single comment was made on the issue from the developers. How could we know that this sought after functionality was being looked into?

I'm really looking forward to this functionality and will certainly give SignalExpress another try when it's implemented.

Message 40 of 93
(9,414 Views)