SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your improvement ideas & suggestions for future Signal Express releases.

I am the lead on this particular project and all my costumer are holding on my shirt tails on what my decision is going to be. My costumers are going to use the same software as I. They have to mere me to participate in these particular projects. I have told them that my plan is to talk with you folks to see if their is going to be consideration to bring video into signal express.

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 93
(7,071 Views)

I have noticed that signal express newer versions does not have analog pre trigger sample points. The old version does. I can take pre trigger samples in my older versions but not in the newer version. I need to be able to take some pre trigger data before the event. I am not using data logger steps. I just take n number of samples and set a trigger but it does not allow me to take pre trigger points, it will let you take digital trigger pre samples but my signals are analog.

Luckyboy

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 93
(7,043 Views)

Most of the analog input steps in SignalExpress currently support pretrigger samples with analog triggering.  You can find it in the following locations:

1. DAQmx Acquire - Triggering tab, Reference Trigger, when set to Analog Edge, gives you pretrigger samples options.  The acquisition mode must be set to N Samples or you will not be able to set a reference trigger.
  2. IVI Scope Acquire - Pretrigger samples is not set directly, but indirectly by the Start time (s) in the Horizontal settings.
  3. NI-SCOPE Acquire - Trigger tab,  Ref position (%), indirectly sets the number of pretrigger samples
Message 63 of 93
(7,037 Views)

Hi Luckyboy,

At present there is no plan for expansion of SignalExpress to include video. More information about our other products that are vision enabled can be found here: http://www.ni.com/vision/.

Thanks!

Verne D. // Software R&D // National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 64 of 93
(7,021 Views)

I think would be interesting to take a look to DIADEM. It has video playback and data synchronization functionalities

0 Kudos
Message 65 of 93
(7,011 Views)

I would certainly like to see a synchronized video/data ability in Signal Express!  DiaDem may be able to do this but I really don't want to have to learn another program just to "video document" a test.  I prefer to keep all my testing functionality within Signal Express.

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 93
(7,005 Views)

I'm very sorry to here this.. I appreciate your reply and will pass on the inform to my signal express users. I have no other choice to switch to the dewetron scopes for this application. Thanks for your time and your fast response.

Ps. Please try to notify me if there ever becomes a change to do this application. We would always consider changing back to signal express in the future if applicable.

Luckyboy

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 93
(6,986 Views)

You should look into the DEWETRON scopes. Your and my application are sounding very familiar. I just also want to have one type of stand alone data acquisition program. The DEWETRON scope gives you all the features you need in one scope synced. You should check it out I think you will like it.. I can't believe that signal express is going away for me. I have at least 40 users all over the United States that are currently useing this Signal Express. There are 20 of these Dewetron scopes where I am located and its been a war on which to use scope or signal express. I have pushed the signal express to my group of guys and to all parties that do data acquisition which is aprox 40 users. I have played with the Dewetron scope and it is very similar to signal express but has syncing application with video.

Luckyboy

Check It Out

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 93
(6,985 Views)

I'd rather not turn this into a product comparison discussion but I do have to say this...

We have a Dewetron. It's and older unit. The video capture feature is nice, but that's all we use it for.

The Dewetrons are essentially "ruggedized" PC's with DAQ hardware periphrials. This means its mostly a PC inside; including mobo, RAM, HDD, display, operating system, etc. Technology in our lab has surpassed what the Dewetron shipped with back in the day.

It's stuck with an older Windows OS (Windows 2000) and old legacy motherboard and drivers. All our other PC's are now running Win 7 64bit and we're having nightmares with support from our IT department with the older software. Stability and reliability have become recent issues.

In order to install a newer version of DeweSoft we need a newer OS, to install a newer OS we need more RAM, more RAM requires a motherboard that will host more than 512Mb of RAM...

We've had disscussions about this hardware bottleneck and it requres a whole hardware/software refresh. Not an option for us right now.

just something to consider.

SCXI- 1000 Chassis w/ 1346 adapter
PCI 6281 DAQ card
SCXI- 1520 Bridge Board w/ 1314 Terminal Block (x2)
SCXI- 1180 Feedthrough Panel w/ 1302 Block
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 69 of 93
(6,979 Views)
  • Option to "Export" strain gage calibration table from the wizard

I'd like to revise a request to include an "Export" option for the strain gage calibration wizard. We calibrate our own in-house built load cells and the engineers need this information to plot a 100k Ohm shunt curve for later use with other DAQ hardware. With this information not readily available we've been 'bit' by wrong cal curves resulting in erroneous data. Without knowing what Signal Express used for it's strain output calculations, there's know way to apply a correction factor or determine if the gages were shunted properly.
Clearly this is not NI's fault but it seems like the calibration information would be easy to include considering the information is already there; it's just a matter of exporting it to a file.

As an interim solution the engineers have asked to include at least a screen shot of the calibration wizard table.
IMO, this is very unprofessional looking and would likely not hold up during an ISO audit unless there was time/date information included as well.

SCXI- 1000 Chassis w/ 1346 adapter
PCI 6281 DAQ card
SCXI- 1520 Bridge Board w/ 1314 Terminal Block (x2)
SCXI- 1180 Feedthrough Panel w/ 1302 Block
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 70 of 93
(6,957 Views)