SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie setup question

I cannot see how to set up the software to 'grab' the result from a single sweep (single seq) event. I can do it fine on the scope (2024B), but not through the software interface from my laptop.

Scenario:

Photodetector (impedance matched) on Channel 1. Vert scale 20mV/div, Hor Scale set at 10uS/div. Trigger level at about 40mV. Click on "Single Seq" button, and system is 'Ready'. Fire a flash into the detector, the scope triggers and records the light pulse. No problem from the scope, but how do I do this from the software running on my tethered laptop, and how can I save the waveform (The USB Drive is way too slow!). I can see the Scope device ok, just cannot discern how to set things up.

Thanks in advance,

Roy Dunn.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,080 Views)

What scope are you using?  National Instruments scopes can be read using the associated NI-SCOPE step.  Most other scopes can be read using the IVI steps.  If you have a Tektronix scope and the Tektronix edition of SignalExpress, there should be a specific step for your scope.  Let us know what you have and we can help more.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,077 Views)
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I am using a Tek 2024B, and yes, there is a dedicated setup. I have kludged my way through a solution, however I still have to hit the "Single Seq" button on the scope to prepare it for a single trigger event. When the event occurs, the laptop displays the signal information, and I can capture/save it just fine. I just thought I would be able to drive the scope entirely from the laptop?

Basically, the Single Seq button is used for a single event capture - you set the trigger level, click the button and the scope is in 'Ready' mode. When the signal exceeds the trigger level, that event is captured by the scope. Most useful for doing photodetection of single (photographic) flash events.

Thanks,
Roy.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,072 Views)

I was afraid you were going to say something like that.  My expertise is with NI and IVI equipment.  Your problem is Tektronix specific.  I will see who I can ping to give you a decent reply.  In the meantime, you can try this:

1.  Set up your scope with "sample" acquisition mode, "normal" trigger, and whatever trigger conditions are necessary for your particular signal (you should be able to do this from the step in SignalExpress).  This will trigger at every event.  However, from your previous posts, it appears you only have one event at very large intervals.  If your scope has  a local/remote control button, make sure it is set to remote control.
  2. Add a save step from the File I/O menu to save the data from the scope step or log the output of the scope step.  This will save your data to disk after a successful acquisition.
  3. Run.  At this point, nothing should happen until you trigger your experiment.  Then you should see a single acquisition which is saved to disk by SignalExpress.
  4. Stop.  You may have to Abort.
The Tek folks monitor these boards, so you should get a better answer from them.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,061 Views)