SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a threshold to count spike events?

Hi,

I am recording muscle signals from insects and want to count the "spike events" of a certain muscle unit, i.e. a certain voltage. Can I set a threshold - let's say 2V - so that SignalExpress counts once every time this "event" takes place? So that in the end I get a number of how often the RISING signal passed this threshold (no count when the signal falls down again under the threshold). And, one step further, is it possible to automatically calculate the counted number of "spikes" into a frequency (only for the period between the first and the last spike event, not necesserily the whole recording)?

I work with the NI 9215 USB and differential amplifiers. The recordings are done in the continuous differential mode.

Thanks for your help,

Philipp

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,823 Views)

Hi Philipp,

I tried to solve your task with Signal Express alone and have to say it won't work. Signal express is good for acquisition but not very good for signal processing. You need either LabVIEW to build a VI or a module with counter input to accomplish this task.

Best regards

Michael

National Instruments
Technical Support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,805 Views)

Thanks for your answer! So I will have to try it with LabVIEW, though I am even more unfamiliar with LabVIEW than I am with SignalExpress 😉 Or I have to go to the LabVIEW Discussion Forum 😉

Best regards,

Philipp

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,801 Views)

Hi Philipp,

you could start with one of these links:

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

or you try by yourself. LabVIEW is very intuitive to learn!

Regards

Michael

National Instruments
Technical Support 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,798 Views)