SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect LabVIEW VI to a signal or an Operator Interface control?

Hello,

In SignalExpress 2015, I have 3 steps:

1. A DAQmx Acquire (Voltage) step
  2. A Run LabVIEW 2015 VI step
  3. A DAQmx Generate (Voltage) step

My LabVIEW VI has a numeric (double) input and a numeric (double) output. I was hoping to pass the signal from #1 into the VI in #2, run some custom logic, and then pass the VI output to #3. Is this possible in SignalExpress?

When trying to configure the inputs of #2, I can only select Snapshots; when configuring #3, I can only select Snapshots or the signal from #1. Similarly, I'm unable to bind Operator Interface controls to the LabVIEW VI's input or output.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,192 Views)

OK, I found the answer for the first part:

The VI terminals must be compatible with the signals' Acquisition Mode:

• An analogue DAQmx Acquire/Generate step that is set to "Continuous Samples" can be connected to a Waveform VI terminal.
  • An analogue DAQmx Acquire/Generate step that is set to "1 Sample (On Demand)" can be connected to a Numeric VI terminal.

What about the second part? Can an Operator Interface control be connected a LabVIEW VI terminal?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,176 Views)

Hi JKSH,

Without access to the VI you are calling, I'm not sure what the issue is. My guess is that the controls and indicators on the front panel of the VI have not been linked to anything on the connector pane. In order to pass data to and from a VI, you generally need to pass the information in the VI to or from an indicator or control and have that indicator or control linked to the connector pane.

Andy F.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,164 Views)

Hi Andy, thanks for responding to my query.

I've got a LabVIEW VI that is coded, configured and built as described at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/359D14941D6936E98625729D008387D5

I know I have coded, configured and built it correctly, because I can pass a SignalExpress DAQmx Analogue Acquire (1 Sample On Demand) signal into this VI.

However, I can't figure out how to pass a value from a SignalExpress Operator Interface control into this VI. Is this supported by SignalExpress?

Thanks,

JKSH

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,161 Views)

Aargh, the answer was simple... I couldn't bind the OI control to my VI input because I had already connected something else to the VI!

Solution: Disconnect the first signal from the VI input. After that, I can connect the OI Control to the VI input, as a Bound Parameter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,154 Views)