SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid automatic launch of SignalExpress with a USB instrument?

Solved!
Go to solution
When I plug-in (or turn on) a USB instrument (I have 2 USB power sensors and an Agilent N9310A RF signal generator) - SignalExpress 2009 automatically launches.  This is very annoying (and apparently default) behavior.  With 3 instruments turned on, I get 3 instances of SignalExpress that need to be closed.  Anyone know how to disable this feature?  Of course I'm sure I could just uninstall SignalExpress altogether, but short of that option, what is the solution?  I am running on Windows 7, with LV 2009 Professional.
Message 1 of 8
(13,402 Views)
There should be a dialog that appears first that provides options of launching SignalExpress or Take No Action.  Choosing Take No Action and enabling the Always Take This Action checkbox should resolve this.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(13,388 Views)

That would be what I would expect- but unfortunately I do not get that initial dialog asking what action to take.  SignalExpress launches automatically as I said, with no apparent option to disable the behavior.  So knowing that there is a dialog that for some reason is not launching first- my question(s) now are 1. Why is that dialog not launching, and 2. Where is the information stored that determines whether to take that action?  I.e.- if it did launch, and you say No to the question regarding auto launch of SignalExpress, then where is that info stored?  Is it in the registry?  Can I manually edit this?

Perhaps a related question is- if you initially say Yes to the auto-launch feature and Always Take This Action (perhaps that is what happened on this system the first time it did this)- then how do you then undo that option?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(13,383 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EricBehrs

After a bit of research, I found the solution.  As I said in the original post, this is Windows 7, so this may be a Windows 7-specific issue.

To disable the autorun property of SignalExpress when plugging in a USB T&M class device in Windows 7:

1.  Run the AutoPlay configuration Control Panel utility in Windows (Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->AutoPlay, or just type AutoPlay in Windows Start box).

2. Scroll to the bottom of the list and you should see  Devices->Test and Measurement Device. Change the selection from "Control Instrument using LabVIEW SignalExpress" to "Take no Action".

3. Save and you're done.

I would suggest this info. be added to the SignalExpress Help for the next release.

Message 4 of 8
(13,368 Views)

We have found this AutoPlay issue with LabVIEW 2014 as well - but the fix listed is exactly what's needed.  Thanks very much for putting in the shoe-leather and posting your solution - it helped us out!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(11,763 Views)

Thanks for the solution. It works. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,831 Views)

Thank you for this tip! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,271 Views)

You sir are a genius!! I'd give you infinite kuddos if I could. 

Thanks for taking the time to track this down. Nothing more annoying than having Signal Express take over your computer everytime you turn on a device or plug & uplug. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,512 Views)