SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I do order tracking with a DC speed signal?

I'm using SignalExpress 2009 to bring in several strain signals which will require order tracking.  The speed signal will be a 4-20 mA DC input.  How can I set this up as my speed reference?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,292 Views)

AEI_JR,

Are you trying to plot Strain vs Current?  I've been playing around with the software and I am not sure that you can do this in Signal Express.  You could use the aritmatic function to do processing and check for normalization.  Could you post again with a few more details of what exactly you are trying to do and hopefully we can find you a better answer?  Thanks.

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,275 Views)

Cole,

No, I'm trying to plot strain vs. RPM.  I won't have a pulse input, though; as I said, it will be a proportional DC 4-20 mA signal.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,270 Views)

So is there just no way to do this, or am I still not clear on what I'm trying to do?

Basically the issue is, for the order tracking, as I understand it, one must first create a speed profile (The help files have not done a very good job of explaining how a "speed profile" is calculated, in my opinion).  In order to create a speed profile, there is an algorithm whereby one can input a pulse as a tachometer reading.  The problem is, I won't have access to the pulse - it goes to a control system, and the last time we tried to tee off the signal, it pulled it the voltage down below where the control reading is triggered.  The solution to get speed to my system is to condition the signal in the control to a DC 4-20 mA output.  

So, is there, or is there not a way to use this speed for the order tracking?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,220 Views)

Hello AEI_JR,

I have been playing around with this and here's what I've found.  It's a three step process, but we can absolutely do this (even if it's not intuitive). 

Steps 1 and 2 are to drag your signals of interest to a time domain plot (same one). You want to add your x-axis first and then your y-axis.  You'll see the units on the side change from step 1 to 2 from <unit> to Amplitude as shown below. Step 3 is to right click and select View As»XY Graph.  The three looks are shown below.  Cheers!

x-scale.png==>y-scale.png==>xy graph.png

ColeR
Field Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,190 Views)