SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error device buffer overflow DAQ 9172

Hello,

I am using NI cDAQ 9172 with 3 USB 9233 devices and Sound and Vibration assistant 6.0 (signal express 3.0) to collect impact hammer data.

Everytime I am trying to collect data I am getting the following error ---  "Logging was stopped because an error occurred with a Step in the Project. If this error is because of a device buffer overflow, you can improve performance by turning off display updates using the "Operate >>Update Signal Views While Running" menu item. You can also change the way signals are logged by changing the Logging Options in the Tools>>Options dialog. Turning off "Prepare log data for viewing" will greatly improve performance."

I tried switiching off the update signals and prepare log data for viewing but it did not seem to work. Could you please help me out with this error.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,610 Views)

Stu,

Each of the 9233 modules are in the cDAQ chassis, and not in their USB carriers, correct?  Also, how many channels are you using on each module and what is your sampling rate on each?  Finally, what operating system are you using and how much RAM do you have?

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,601 Views)

Hello Seth,

All of my 9233s are in the cDAQ 9172. All the channels on the 9233 modules are being used except one. I am using a sampling rate of 4000Hz and number of samples is 5000 so about 1.25 seconds of data. I am using a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 processor with 1 Gb of ram. The operating system used is Windows XP.

Also I was wondering if I could use another two 9234 modules along with the 9233s to collect data. Will it pose any problems?

Thankyou very much. Appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,596 Views)

Stu,

I think we may be running in to a memory issue here.  I've got a couple things for you to check.  First, if your open up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and select the processes tab, what is your total memory usage before beginning your acquisition and what is it as the program is returning this error?

Also, what step in your SVA program is returning this error?  There should be an exclamation point on the step when the program halts.  Finally, if you try to run your program just using one, then two, then three modules, do they all throw the error?

As far as adding two modules is concerned, we will need to determine what is causing this error before we risk adding more unknowns to the system.

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,580 Views)

Hello Seth,

I ran the tests you suggested. I am currently running a windows XP machine with a 3.4 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM. I tried using just one 9233 module with the cDAQ9172 and it worked. I added the second 9233 module and it started giving me the error. I checked the memory usage when acquisition is not started it was 868 MB and the CPU usage was 0-2%. When I started acquisition the memory usage did not change much it went to about 880 MB and the CPU to about 100% and the error was displayed.

As the error suggests. I tried switching the update views in "Update signals while running" and "Prepare log data for viewing" off but it still did not help. If I switch both these off I wont be able to see what kind of impact data I am colelcting. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

I  need to colelct the impact data on a printer and I have a many locations on it that I need to collect data from.  Please suggest a solution for this problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,561 Views)

Hello Seth,

I ran the tests you suggested. I am currently running a windows XP machine with a 3.4 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM. I tried using just one 9233 module with the cDAQ9172 and it worked. I added the second 9233 module and it started giving me the error. I checked the memory usage when acquisition is not started it was 868 MB and the CPU usage was 0-2%. When I started acquisition the memory usage did not change much it went to about 880 MB and the CPU to about 100% and the error was displayed.

As the error suggests. I tried switching the update views in "Update signals while running" and "Prepare log data for viewing" off but it still did not help. If I switch both these off I wont be able to see what kind of impact data I am colelcting. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

I  need to colelct the impact data on a printer and I have a many locations on it that I need to collect data from.  Please suggest a solution for this problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,540 Views)

Please help me out here. I need to get the data as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,533 Views)

I apologize for the delay in my response, I've been out of the office for the Thanksgiving Break.

Turning these options off only keeps the data from being updated while the project is logging data.  By not preparing the data for viewing or updating the signal display, you will simply not be able to view the data until you are done logging data, at which point you will be able to use it like normal. Are you connecting directly to a USB 2.0 port or through any kind of USB hub or switch?  Hubs and switches can cause numerous problems with data acquisition devices.

With regards to the error message:

What step of your project is returning this error? 

That step should have an exclamation point next to it. 

Does the error happen when you first run the project, or after the project is running? 

Does the error have a number associated with it?

This will help us determine if it's an issue with the data acquisition or the data processing. 

Let's try turning off as many of the User Interface updates as possible.  Open the Tools » Options menu.

In the Execution group:

Set "Update Signal Views While Running" to "Update None."  This will keep your computer from needing to commit memory and processor resources to displaying the data while it's being gathered.  Instead, it will update when you are done acquiring data.

In the Logging group:

Set "Prepare Log Data for Viewing" to "After Logging Completes" for the same reason as above.

Set "Disable UI Updates while Logging" to "Yes"

Hopefully, this will allow your project to finish running.

Seth B.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,528 Views)

Hello Seth,

How are you doing? Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Answering your questions

- The 9233 modules are connected to cDAQ 9172 only and the USB cable from cDAQ 9172 is directly connected to the computer USB port no switches or hubs in between.

- The error was initially observed in the DAQ step (Data Acquisition step which is the first step in the setup). If I use only one 9233 module with the cDAQ9233 (and also the computer within which the original template of DAQ setup was created) I do not get an error at all. If I add the second module I get an error. Now I am getting the errorin the filter step of the setup and the number displayed there is Error -23036 which I looked up says its a Mathematics error code.

- The error occurs when I first run the project and impact the structure for the first time. Sometimes even when I don't impact the structure the following error occurs. Rarely when the updating options are switched off it allows me take a couple of measurements and then displays the error.

-  As I have mentioned before, I have already tried the steps which you have mentioned in your post.

In the Execution group: The "Update Signal Views While Running"  was set to "Update None."  which would keep your computer from commiting memory and processor to display the data while it's being gathered. Instead, it will update when you are done acquiring data.

Also, in the Logging group: "Prepare Log Data for Viewing" was set to "After Logging Completes" for the same reason as above.

"Disable UI Updates while Logging" was also set to "Yes".

Hope this helps in understandign the problem.

Thank you very much 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,525 Views)