SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device buffer overflow error and Log component missing

I have some previous information in "Error device buffer overflow" post.

I am currently running a windows XP machine with a 3.4 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM. I tried using just one 9233 module with the cDAQ9172 and it worked. I added the second 9233 module and it started giving me the error. I checked the memory usage when acquisition is not started it was 868 MB and the CPU usage was 0-2%. When I started acquisition the memory usage did not change much it went to about 880 MB and the CPU to about 100% and the error was displayed. The code shows the error that device buffer is overflowing when I use the program on a new machine even for one module with cDAQ9172 but when I switch it back to the original machine it works for single module but not for multiple.

As the error suggests. I tried switching the update views in "Update signals while running" and "Prepare log data for viewing" off but it still did not help. If I switch both these off I wont be able to see what kind of impact data I am collecting. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

I  need to colelct the impact data on a printer and I have a many locations on it that I need to collect data from.  Please suggest a solution for this problem.

Also, if i try using the same project on some other machine it gives me an error indicating some log component files are missing from signal express and need to be installed. This happens when i transfer the project from one machine to another. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,895 Views)

Stu,

You will still be able to print your data in a later step when setting the two options recommended by the error code.  What is likely happening when you try to move the project is that the project has log files still associated with it from previous attempts.  You should save a copy of the project and in that copy delete the log files, then try to move the project over.  SE projects are directly associated with the log files they create. This should allow you to move the project to a new computer.

When you go to run your project, you should shut down as many background processes as possible, such as IM clients.  If you can disconnect from your network, I would suggest doing that and turning off any antivirus/anti-spyware software you have to free up resources.

A couple of further questions:

Are you connecting to a USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 port?  You should be able to determine this by opening the device manager on your computer and expanding "Universal Serial Bus" section. If any of the drivers have "Enhanced" in their name, you have a USB 2.0 port.

Does this behavior repeat with any combination of the three modules?  For instance, does it work if you just have module one, module two, or module three install?  Do you still get the error if module two and three are used instead of one and two? (This will help determine if we are encountering a problem with the modules or with SE)

Finally, if you create a project that contains only one step that only reads the data off of all three modules, do you still get the error? (This will help isolate the problem)

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,885 Views)