From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot load large CSV files in SignalExpress("Not enough memory to complete this operation" error)

Hi guys,

I'm new here and just  have browsed some of the related topics here regarding my problem but could not seem to find anything to help me fix this problem so I decided to post this. I currently have a saved waveform from an oscilloscope that is quite big in size(around 700MB, CSV file format) and I want to view this on my PC using SignalExpress. Unfortunately when I try to load the file using "Load/Save Signals -> Load From ASCII", I always get the "Not enough memory to complete this operation" error. How can we view and analyze large waveform files in SignalExpress? Is there a workaround on this? 

Thanks,

Louie

P.S.>I'm very new to Signal Express and haven't modified any settings on it. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,268 Views)

Hello Louie,

May I know what version of SignalExpress are you using? Also, how much physical RAM is installed in your PC?

The problem you are facing could because there is not a sufficiently large block of RAM to hold the large saved waveform. A possible solution is to tweak your virtual memory settings. Have you taken a look at this link yet? While it is titled for LabVIEW, it is also relevant for SignalExpress.

Best regards,

Victor

NI ASEAN

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,235 Views)

lhaoxian wrote:

Hello Louie,

May I know what version of SignalExpress are you using? Also, how much physical RAM is installed in your PC?

The problem you are facing could because there is not a sufficiently large block of RAM to hold the large saved waveform. A possible solution is to tweak your virtual memory settings. Have you taken a look at this link yet? While it is titled for LabVIEW, it is also relevant for SignalExpress.

Best regards,

Victor

NI ASEAN

Hi,

The version is 2.5.1, RAM=2GB. I will try to implement the suggested ways on the link and will update this thread on the results. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,231 Views)
Hi, just for an update, I wasn't able to increase my virtual settings due to some limitations of my computer(IT security stuff). However, is 2GB of RAM not enough to open a 700MB file? If there are no other solutions to this then I think I'll just manually save screen captures instead, which is like 50 of them. Ideally I could have just saved this waveform in CSV format and opened it with SignalExpress. It's quite disappointing for this software to have such a limitation like this.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,205 Views)

Hi Louie,

Are you encountering a read-only message when you tried to save the boot.ini file? If so, you can try this method: right-click on My Computer >> Select "Properties", and go to the "Advanced" tab. Select "Settings", and on the next screen, there is a button called Edit. If you click on Edit you should be able to modify the "/3GB" tag in boot.ini. Are you able to change it in this manner? After reboot, you can reload the file to see if it helps.

To open a file in SignalExpress, a contiguous chunk of memory is required. If SignalExpress cannot find a contiguous memory chunk that is large enough to hold this file, then an error will be generated. This can happen when fragmentation occurs in memory, and fragmentation (memory management) is managed by Windows, so unfortunately this is a limitation that we have.

As an alternative, have you looked at NI DIAdem before? It is a software tool that allows users to manage and analyze large volumes of data, and has some unique memory management method that lets it open and work on large amounts of data. There is an evaluation version which is available for download; you can try it out and see if it is suitable for your application. 

Best regards,

Victor

NI ASEAN

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,171 Views)

Hi, 

I was able  to change the boot.ini but our security software seems to prevent the computer from booting up when I added "/3GB". I'll try to check out Diadem.

Thank you,

Louie

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,163 Views)