SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PCI 6133 aquire acceleration?

Solved!
Go to solution

The measurement types of PCI 6133 do NOT include acceleration. If I connect the acclerometer to the PCI 6133, then select the voltage as measurement type. What dose the signal aquired this way mean? Is there any relationship between this voltage signal and the real acceleration?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,652 Views)

Hi Clair,

If you select to acquire the signal as Voltage measurement, you will read the voltage that is generated by the accelerometer on the channel that you indicate.  The relationship between this voltage and acceleration depends on your accelerometer.  There are specific parameters associated with accelerometers that must be accounted for (range, frequency response, sensitivity, etc.).  If you know how your accelerometer represents an acceleration as a voltage and you have accounted for any external excitation, then you can apply custom scaling to your voltage to read it back as an acceleration.

Regards,

Sara Lewandroski
Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,633 Views)

Thank you Sara for your reply,

Since PCI 6133 can NOT provide the IEPE excitation automatically, dose that mean if I want to use IEPE accelerometer, I also need an independent device of charge-amplifier or a voltage-amplifier to account for that external excitation? Dose NI have such amplifier products? (because I notice most of NI DAQ measuring acclerometer have built-in current exciation.)

You said if I select Voltage measurement, the signal should be the voltage generated by accelerometer. I want to know whether this conclusion is correct for module of NI UBS 9234. Because when I use UBS 9234 to aquire acceleration signal from IEPE and select Voltage as measurement type, the values of voltage are all nagative, totally different from the Voltage signal collected by PCI 6133.

Best of Regards,

Clair

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,629 Views)

Hi Clair,

Unfortunately, we do not sell charge amplifiers or excitation sources, unless they are built in such as they are in the 9233, 9234, and 9237, as well as the PCI and PXI DSA modules.  We also sell SMUs and DMMs that put out a test current and then measure the voltage back.  This is the recommended choice for IEPE excitation sensors.  With the 9234, you can select Acceleration input for the channel type, and then set the sensitivity for the sensor and then it will scale to g's or m/s^2 acordingly.  You cannot compare the 6133 and 9234, because the 6133 does not source excitation to the sensor, and therefore the voltage readings will not be the same.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,608 Views)

Adam, thank you for your reply

If I do need to use PCI 6133 to aquire vibration signal from IEPE, is there a feasible way to realize that? I know there exists some signal conditioners which are designed for providing the constant current excitation to IEPE, can PCI 6133 be compatible with this kind of signal conditioner? If 6133 can work together with the independent signal conditioner, does that mean I should choose Customer Voltage with Excitation as measurement?

Because what I plan to do is to aquire several types of signals simultaneously (that is why I choose PCI S Series) which include signals of vibration, sound and acoustic emission (that is why I need the sampling rate of up to 2.5M/s), I badly need PCI 6133 to deal with IEPE.

Thank you.

Best of Regards,

Clair

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,597 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clair

Hi Claire,

The external signal conditioner should output just a voltage signal.  You will then want to create a Voltage task, and then scale the signal accordingly.  You will not need custom voltage with excitation, because you will not be applying the excitation via the 6133.  As long as you have a signal conditioner that outputs a voltage, you will be fine using the 6133.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,553 Views)