From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xBFFA0046 0xBFFC0006

Hi there,

This question pertains to:
Tektronix MSO 2012B
SignalExpress 2013
NI driver package august 2013
driver: tkdpo2k (IVI scope acquire)

The goal is to acquire the data from the analog and digital channels.
However the digital channels present a problem..

Error message (SignalExpress 2013):

ivi_IviScope Configure Channel.vi<ERR>
Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFA0046) The attribute is not valid for the specified channel or repeated capability.
Secondary Error: (Hex 0xBFFC0006) Parameter 6 out of range, or error occurred while setting Parameter 6.
Elaboration: Probe Attenuation

<b>Complete call chain:</b>
ivi_IviScope Configure Channel.vi
ivi_subScopeSetExecParams.vi
ivi_InstrSCOPEBlockState.vi:1

End of error message (SignalExpress 2013).

Error message (NI I/O trace):

> 20581. IviScope_ConfigureChannel (Scoop, "D0", 4, 0, 1, -1, VI_TRUE)
> Process ID: 0x00002090 Thread ID: 0x0000275C
> Start Time: 19:21:42.708 Call Duration 00:00:00.014
> Status: 0xBFFA0046 (IVI_ERROR_ATTR_NOT_VALID_FOR_CHANNEL)

End of error message (NI I/O trace):

Whenever the driver tries to set the probe attenuation for one of
the digital channels, the error is generated.
Even when using the value -1, for automatic probe attenuation setting,
the error persists, which also was the setting in the error messages cited above.
The software does let me trigger on digital channels,
but I can not acquire the digital signals.

I need to log at least 6 digital channels simultaneously.
How can I acquire the digital signal information?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GKM.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,514 Views)

Hi,

I have looked into your question and are you able to use the instrument driver in LabVIEW instead of signalexpress? so we can exclude the problem is caused by Signalexpress or LabVIEW.

Best regards,

Corné Westeneng

Applications Engineer

NI-Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,480 Views)

Hi,

Currently there is no separate LabView installed on the system, only the Laview components that came with SignalExpress. The driver is the Labwindows/CVI tkdpo2 driver.

Is that enough information?

I noted that the driver package supports up to Labview 2012, should I install Labview 2012 for testing purposes?

If so, could you point me in the right direction to test the driver with LabView 2012?

Regards,

GKM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,471 Views)

Hi Corné,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did not have Labview installed.

I gave Labview 2012 a go... but still no luck with the tkdpo2k driver on my end.

Maybe you could tell me whether you've been able to track down the problem.
Or better still, maybe you have even discovered a simple workaround that I can

implement, e.g. software I absolutely must or absolutely must not not install

when using SignalExpress? Or that there is an editable ini/vi/... file that I should

edit a little to resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help with resolving this problem.

Regards,

GKM.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,346 Views)

Hi GK,

Coming back to your question about the possibility of acquiring data from the digital channel, I‘m not sure if it is possible to acquire digital channels in Signalexpress 2013.

Have you tried the steps in the Knowledgebase bellow?

IVI Instrument Steps in LabVIEW SignalExpress
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/589469164F1FCC0F86256FFF007368AD?OpenDocument

Can you send me your SignalExpress project? So I can try to figure out what’s going wrong.

If you want to test the Tektronix MSO 2012B with Labview, bellow you find a link to the example VI’s.

One of the example VI’s is “Acquire Digital Waveform Example.vi”. With this VI you will be able to test the digital inputs of your scope.

Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series Oscilloscope

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=6E23DB10D9FC2B05E04400144FB7D2...

Best regards,

Corné Westeneng

Applications Engineer

NI-Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,335 Views)

Hi Corné,

Thanks for the links. The step by step walkthrough for the IVI driver does provide me with functionality for the analog channels (using the tkdpo2k IVI driver of course), but not for the digital channels., which repeat the error of my initial post. 

I tried the project style driver in LabView 2012 SP1, which again worked for the analog channels, but not for the digital channels, LabView reported

Error -1074000000 occurred at Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Error Query.vi

Possible reason(s):

Instrument reports:
402,"Operation complete"
221,"Settings conflict; Reduced resolution waveform not available; :DATA&colon;ENC RIB;:DATA&colon;SOUR D0;:DATA&colon;STAR 0;:DATA&colon;STOP 10000000;:WF"
420,"Query UNTERMINATED"
0,"No events to report - queue empty"

Complete call chain:
Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Error Query.vi
Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Fetch Waveform (Digital Waveform).vi
Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Read (Single Digital Waveform).vi
Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series Acquire Digital Waveform Example.vi

I guess the DATA&colon;STAR 0;:DATA&colon;STOP 10000000;  means that 10 million datapoints can not be collected by the scope? The manual states

Digital Record Length
1 Million Samples at all time base settings when a single set of 8 inputs are used, all from
the same physical half of the digital probe cable
1 Million Samples at time base settings from 100 sec/div to 200 μs/div when inputs from
both halves of the digital probe cable are used
500,000 Samples at time base settings from 100 μs/div to 2 ns/div when inputs from both
halves of the digital probe cable are used

I did not change anything in the project, other than pointing it to the scope. If I am correct, then the LabView error  differs from the error in my initial post, which is about probe attenuation settings.

In fact, when I tried using the multiple digital channels example LabView crashed, with error

Noncontinuable exception (0xC0000025) at EIP=0x00000000

but what does it mean?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,322 Views)

Hi GKM,

According to the information you send me unfortunately I don't have an idea why this would't work. So I want to ask you to do some tests in NI-MAX with the VISA Test Panel.

Using the Visa Test Panel is a way to communicate directly to the device without using the tkdpo2k IVI driver.

1. Open NI-MAX

2. Select your Tektronix device

3. Click on "Open Visa Test Panel"

4. Configure the settings in the Configuration part according to the Tektronix Manual

5. Go to Input/Output

6. Enter the commands to acquire data for the digital channels in the "Select or Enter Command" Field. For the according commands see the Tektronix Manual.

Please let me know if you are able to read the digital channels by using the Visa Test Panel.

Regards,

Corné Westeneng

Applications Engineer

NI-Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,296 Views)

Hi Corné,

I followed the suggested steps, and it works in NI VISA interactive control.  

By the way, were you aware that is is a 441 page programmers manual?

At first the procedure presented quite a few timeouts, and I almost despaired.

Anyway, it is always worthwhile to learn a new language...

For others trying to acquire digital data from the scope I will present two procedures ( which work in NI VISA Interactive control, and presumably also in the Tektronix variant described in the manual, and may perhaps be helpful for those using other operating systems for which no programmes or VISA drivers exist  ).

Roughly the steps to transfer a waveform from the oscilloscope are found on p 2-53 in the MSO2000B Series programmer manual.

To obtain data from a single digital channel (here D0, but D2 to D15 are also allowed)

Write:

DATa&colon;SOUrce D0

Write:

DATa&colon;COMPOSITION SINGULAR_YT

Query:

CURVe?

To obtain all digital channels:

Write:

DATa&colon;SOUrce DIGital

Write:

DATa&colon;COMPOSITION SINGULAR_YT

Query:

CURVe?

The DIGital keyword is the only way to get the 4 byte DATa&colon;WIDth, which otherwise accepts only 1 and 2 as arguments. The upper and lower case lettering is not consistently used in the manual, and it appears there is no case sensititvity, or the VISA interactive control has some automatic correction facility...

However, the question remains whether I can now use this information to work with the digital channels in SignalExpress, LabView, or both.

Thanks in advance for any more help with this.

Regards,

GKM.

P.S. I noticed that in the error messages the colons and semicolons en parentheses form emoticons, which is extremely annoying. I do not think my browser causes this (Opera 12.16), as the emoticons turn up in the preview, but not  when I type them. Moreover the Seamonkey browser it does not show emoticons, but instead the text smileyvery-happy. People are generally not very happy if they have to reoprt trouble... Is there a way to turn that behaviour of? It seems I can only select rich text, rather than plain text... 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,266 Views)

Dear readers,

What I mentioned in the P.S. of the above post happened again. I should really look at the preview, even though I am just typing plain text. The stuff between DATa and SOUrce is simply a colon, nothing more nothing less, I do not know why some colons work when I type a colon that is :   ,  and others do not. Probably I should insert a space after each colon, so simply copying and pasting error messages and VISA commands is out of the question.

Regards,

GKM.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,261 Views)

Hi Corné,

Thanks for your efforts on improving the tkdpo2k IVI driver.
Using the MSO2000B programmers manual, C, R, and the usbtmc
driver (on a different platform), I am happy to report that
by now I have a working infrastructure which can collect
both the digital and analog data from the oscilloscope. The
data acquisition problem I had has disappeared, although
the problems in both the tkdpo2k and the LabVIEW plug and
play driver remain.

To improve the tkdpo2k driver, it may be useful to note that
the digital data must be imported using the full data
resolution, rather than the reduced data resolution. The
digital data has a width of 4 bytes, unless separate
channels are imported. Also, as SignalExpress 2013 already
reported in the initial error message that started this
forum thread, the MSO2000B models have no probe attenuation
setting for the digital channels. That is to say, there does
exist the command CH<x>: PRObe: GAIN, but there is no mention 
of a command D<x>: PRObe: GAIN, suggesting that it does not 
exist, though I did not try to send such a command to the
oscilloscope.  (Remove the spaces after the colon in the real world).

Though I could now mark this thread as solved, in fact it is not,

as the NI driver problems remain. When you have an improved

driver ready, I am willing to test it with my MSO2000B,  but 

my personal need for it has disappeared.

Regards,

GKM.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,224 Views)