From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to send a pulse signal with specific frequency with PXI-5412

Hi,

This might be a silly question since I'm still new to Labview...

I'm trying to control a PXI-5412 function generator to send a pulse signal (say 10 cycles, repetion time 10ms) to our ultrasound transducer. I need to assign a specific frequency to the sine wave I generate (like 1.055MHz). I assumed that I should use the arbitrary sequence waveform in the output mode, then generate a waveform combined with a sine wave and a period of DC, then make the loop count to 10, so I can get the pulse signal. 

I checked the examples in NI called "Basic Arb Sequence", which can do what I want, however, the way they design the signal is by # of points, not frequency... the vi called "Sine Wave [NI_AALBase.lvlib]" has two control terminals: # of points and frequency, I don't know how this work...

So, my question is, can anyone help me figure out how to assign a specific frequency to the signal when I use the arbitrary sequence waveform to generate a pulse signal? or is there any other way can complete this task??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,114 Views)

Hi.

Looks like the sample rate would be set using niFgen Set Sample Rate.vi.  In my LV 2013, this VI is located in Functions >> Instrument I/O >> Instrument Drivers >> NI-FGEN >> Configuration >> Clock >> Configure Clock >> niFgen Set Sample Rate.vi.  Also, review the help documentation for this function to see how it is used.

Wayne T. | Application Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,097 Views)

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I just figured out a way to do this. I used anohter sine wave generator vi to control the frequency instead of the one they use in the NI example. It worked. However, I here have another question..

The signal I generate with PXI-5412 was not quite stable... It kept jumping from here and there... Sorry I don't know the professional way to say this but I think you can get my point. I thought there might be something I can work on for the trigger, but I'm not sure.. Any suggestion on this will be helpful. Thanks for your time!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,087 Views)

cbing8859,

Is there any difference in stability if you just add the niFgen Set Sample Rate.vi to your code?  That way only the ability to change sample rates is added, nothing else.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,063 Views)

Wayne,

It didn't change.. the signal was still unstable...when I set the oscilliscope to autoset, the signal worked just fine, however, when I change to trigger mode, the signal starts to jumping.. I think there's something wrong with the trigger... Do you have any suggestion on that? Thanks!

cbing

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,048 Views)

cbing,

Can you provide information on how the trigger mode and the trigger source is configured?  What type of trigger are you using, software edge, digital edge?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,029 Views)

Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. I thought I figured out how to solve the problem ... after I adjust the signal from the oscilliscope, it looks right.. thank you for helping this out, I appreciate it!

cbing

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,026 Views)