Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp voltage

Can I have some help understanding what I need to do to make my program work?

I basically want to ramp a square wave from 0v to 500v. The ramp needs to be 1
volt per second (this might change to 5v or 10v when I understand what I'm doing).

I also need to apply this ramped voltage to the DUT. The device will breakdown somewhere between 0 and 500v. I would like to know when
the DUT has broken down.

I am going to use a DMM to measure the voltage on the DUT. I want the voltage
ramp and breakdown to be captured on the same graph. The max voltage reached on the DUT
needs to be captured too.

I am a really novice user and I just don’t know where to start.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,646 Views)

Hi novice13,

Thanks for posting!

Firstly, what kind of hardware do you plan on using? 500V is a lot. The next question is how much power do you need to supply to the DUT? (I am assuming you do not have any hardware yet?).

You have the right idea - you will need to supply the voltage to the DUT using a power supply and then measure the response of the circuit using a DMM, this can all be achieved using LabVIEW and some instrument control software. You can also use LabVIEW to communicate with off the shelf box instruments through a number of different communication busses including GPIB, Serial, Ethernet etc. Using LabVIEW you will also be able to display both plots (voltage and response) on the same graph.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,622 Views)

I purley need voltage applied to the DUT no current. I am going to use a Keithley 6517A Electrometer for the voltage source.

Can you give me an example of how to do the ramp voltage and capture the input voltage and breakdown voltage on one graph?

I have been playing around with labview for a couple of weeks or so and I'm really stuck.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,616 Views)