Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-5441 vs. PXI-5421

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone knows if the PXI-5441 can be ordered with LVDS output option?

In the datasheet is stated, that a similar, simpler PXI-5421 can generate low-voltage-diff-signal, too (not only the analog single ended).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,553 Views)

The NI 5441 cannot be ordered with LVDS. I'm not sure why you want to use the LVDS connector, but if you simply need a few bits that are embedded in your waveform data to be output as digital signals, you can route specific bits (up to four) to any PXI trigger line or the two front panel digital connectors (TTL).

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,548 Views)

My bad ajax48... the 5441 does indeed come with the LVDS connector as can be seen in the picture. Sorry about the confusion. The comment about routing out individual data bits stands.

Marcos

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,532 Views)

Hi  kirsch,

Thanks for your reply.

So, the front connector on the PXI-5441 (and on PXI-5421) is the input/output for digital signals? And the mentioned “option” is just buying an additional cable(s) and interface board (brake-out board)?

May you assure me that all dedicated (configured) digital signals (so – LVDS – low voltage differential signals) can be accessed from this front-connector?

BTW. The reason I’ve asked for LVDS is very simple. Almost all high speed chips I work on have differential inputs and outputs only (not single ended). For testing I need to generate “real” differential signals – at least voltage levels should be OK (in the test mode, signals don’t need to be switched with the target high frequency).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,528 Views)

Hi Marcos. In the last post I’ve used your nickname not starting with capital “K”. I’m sorry. A moment after sending, I realized that it is your last name, too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,526 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajax48

Hi, 

All NI PXI-5441 modules come with the DDC connector, and for your future reference all memory options except the 8MB option for the NI PXI-5422/21 will come with the DDC as well. A pin out for the DDC can be found here http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370524M-01/siggenhelp/5441_ni_5421_digital_connector/

JaceD
Signal Sources Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(9,519 Views)

Thanks a lot! I've closed the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,513 Views)

Question1: 8MB PXI-5421 product picture has DDC, is this an error?

Question2: Does PXI-5421 have same pinout as your PCI-5441 link?

Question3: Does SHC68-C68-D3 swap socket numbers like other (SHB12X-B12X) harnesses?

Thanks in advance, need help asap. -Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,195 Views)

Hi Hardware Dude,

I would highly recommend posting a new thread as it will get more immediate attention from the NI community than a post from a thread that was solved years ago.

That said, I have a few answers to your questions below. If these do not resolve the issue, please start a new thread with new questions, and we will be more than happy to help.

(1.) The 8MB option for the NI PXI-5422/21 comes with DDC. This is not an error.

(2.) Yes

(3.) Yes

I hope this helps!

Weston

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,182 Views)

Thanks. FYI, after an hour on the phone with NI-Engineers, this was THEIR reply:

1) 8MB PXI-5421 (778697-01) has DDC as "option", and connector does not appear in their internal -01 parts-list (nor does "LVDS" appear in product description). The -02 and higher lists the DDC-connector in the parts list (and "LVDS" appears in product description).

2) Correct; NI says PXI-5421 has same DDC pinout as PXI-5441.

3) NI says there is no pin-for-pin swap like other (SHB12X-B12X) harnesses.  I had him research this two different ways, both returned the same answer: NI confirms SHC68-C68-D3 (188143-01) is a one-to-one harness.  Pin-1 on both ends of the harness is in upper-right corner when looking at face, pin-68 is in lower-left of both ends of the harness.

I'm in trouble if their engineer's research is wrong; board layout is underway.  I'll reply later when I have the parts in-hand and can confirm correctness!

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,178 Views)