Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-5411 function generation issues

Our PXI-5411, housed in a PXI-1042, will not perform a simple continuous sine wave generation using FGEN Soft Front Panel v2.7.  To watch signal generation we have attached an external oscilloscope to the ARB OUT of the PXI-5411.  When we press the start waveform generation button we see a blip on the scope, possibly a single wave generation event, and the access light changes from green to orange quickly but that is it.  We have set the trigger source to internal and in continuous mode.  What may be wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,814 Views)

Hello dholden,

In order to assist you with this issue I want you to do the following.

1. Self test the device in Measurement & Automation Explorer and report the results.
  2. Can your 5411 output any waveform or signal? Please try the square, ramp, and dc level signal options in the FGEN Soft Front panel. Utilize a DMM for the DC signal to corroborate your scope’s reading.
  3. Also to be thorough what version of LabVIEW or what Programming Environment are you using? I want you to run an example and check the results on your scope.
  4. What version of the Windows Operating System are you using?
  5. Has this feature ever worked before?

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,793 Views)

1. "Test Resources" passed under Measurement & Automation Explorer for this device.

2. While having the AWG connected to a scope I do not see any waveforms being produced in standard function or frequency sweep modes.  I only see an initial blip in the noise when I press the "Start Waveform Generation" button on the FGEN Soft Front Panel.  With a DMM, measuring DC voltage, connected to the ARB OUT of the PXI 5411 I do measure negative voltages in response to changing amplitude.  On the scope I also see a negative voltage baseline when the AWG is operating but no waveforms.

3. LabVIEW 2012 v12.0f3 (32-bit), FGEN v2.7.

4. Win XP professional version 2002 sp3

5. We have never been able to get it to work before.

Thanks for your help!

Dustin Holden

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,787 Views)