Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTSC Arbitrary Sequence

Hey,

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to create a simple NTSC signal of a solid color or grayscale image using only NI-FGEN? I would guess that it would use the Arbitrary Sequence Mode, but I don't have a lot of experience using NI-FGEN.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,420 Views)

Yeah, generating NTSC and other analog video signals is a pretty common use case for our line of Signal Generators. What board do you have? We even have a software toolkit for creating the analog NTSC signals suitable for downloading to your device. See link.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,418 Views)

That link didn't work.

I'm thinking PXI-5412 if it can do it. Or PXI-5421 otherwise.

I've tried to look into the VideoMASTER stuff, but I was told that it doesn't support Labview RT.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,415 Views)

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/205449

Looks like I pasted a few extraneous characters...

You can use our video toolkits to create the NTSC analog signal and then save it to a binary file in Windows. Then you can copy that to the LabVIEW RT system and load from file over there. The NTSC signal creation does not have to happen on the fly in the LabVIEW RT system if you already know what they have to be ahead of time.

I'm not sure if the analog specs on the 5412 are good enough for NTSC, you'd need to verify that.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,403 Views)

OK, that is good to know. Generating them on the fly is not important, but switching the active one will be. So does NI-FGEN have the ability to load the binary file and control what is actively being displayed?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,400 Views)

Also, any estimate on how big the files will be?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,399 Views)

Oops, should've made one longer post.

Can I evaluate the VideoMaster Generator software? I installed from this link:

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2050/lang/en

And the help shows a gui that I can't seem to find.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,397 Views)

I could be wrong, but if I remember right, a single frame of NTSC is 1/30 seconds long and you need about 40 MS/s to generate NTSC. At 2 bytes per sample each frame is roughly 2.6 MB.

Marcos Kirsch
Chief Software Engineer
NI Driver Software
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,394 Views)

Is it the .vbf file that gets loaded?

What is the binary file and what software is used to load it?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,391 Views)

Also, could you point me to a tutorial for how to create a the binary file?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,387 Views)