Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to programmatically import a source waveform file into a N5182A?

Hi,

I'm trying to import a waveform from my computer into an Agilent MXG Vector Signal Gen. I looked at the driver and it seems to refer to a file on the unit, but I can't figure out how to get the file over there. In fact, I didn't see a way to generate a waveform from a waveform data type or an array data type. Am I missing something?

CLED (2016)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,724 Views)

Hi InfiniteNothing,

Since this is more pertinent to the API that Agilent developed for working with their device, I am not familiar with this process.  I did, however, see some information on Agilent's website about how to do this, which mentioned the following:

You can download or extract waveform data created in any of the following ways:

• with signal simulation software, such as MATLAB or Agilent Advanced Design System (ADS)
• with advanced programming languages, such as C++, VB or VEE
• with Agilent Signal Studio software
• with the signal generator

I'm assuming they just left LabVIEW off the list of "advanced programming languages", but it should still be fine since LabVIEW has the same capabilities as the languages mentioned there.  Here is their full document:

Creating and Downloading Waveform Files - http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/E4400-90627.pdf

Page 47 describes the process for programmatically loading a waveform to the device, and page 11 has descriptions of the file format of that waveform.  If you have questions about manipulating the data in LabVIEW to get it into the right format, that is something we can help you out with here.  Otherwise, it may be a good idea to speak with Agilent about how to load data to their device.

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
Message 2 of 2
(6,712 Views)