Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does FGEN demo program (SFP) identify input file formats?

The FGEN Soft Front Panel (SFP) application allows users to select an input file containing waveform data for demonstration. Files of various formats are listed in a popup prompt window. How does SFP identify the type of the data in the files? Does the file extension (.bin, .lvm) indicate what's inside?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,625 Views)

If you installed NI-FGEN in the default directory, then C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-FGEN\examples\Waveforms\Waveformdescription.txt should have descriptions of each of the example waveforms and what is inside the file.

The NI Signal Generators Help file (Start > All Programs > National Instruments > NI-FGEN > Documentation) has the Waveform File Specifications under Interactive Tools > FGEN Soft Front Panel > Waveform File Specifications.

The SFP does use the file extension to determine the file type. As a simple test, I renamed the fgMode-square.bin example file to fgMode-square.lvm. When I tried to load the renamed file, it gave me an error declaring that the file is not a valid LabVIEW Measurement File (lvm), thus proving the software checks the file extension to determine the contents.

Thanks,

Joel C

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,621 Views)