Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find NIFgen functions

Solved!
Go to solution
I've been trying to incorporate the ni-5450 into labview code.  I initially tried the IVI Fgen functions to talk with the device.  I used the Fgen soft front panel to communicate with the devices fine, and I ran NI-spy to get a feel for what's going on behind the front panel.  The first function called is niFgen_InitWithOprions.  I cannot find this function in labview.  The closest function is IViFgen_InitWithOptions.  However, this function does not work when I give it the same parameters as the niFgen version.  I get an error that says the session name or logical name could not be resolved to a session or driver session.  I also am missing the Fgen labview example code (only C example code came with my system) which is making things tougher.  Any help on this matter would be appreciated. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,570 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author anaddaff

Hi anaddaff,

If soft front panel is functioning properly I will assume
you have the appropriate version of NI-Fgen installed, 2.6 or later is
required. The device driver vis can be found in the following location:

Fgen Measurement IO.png

As well as LabVIEW examples here: C:\Program Files\National
Instruments\LabVIEW XX\examples\instr\niFgen.

I hope this is helpful please post back with any further
questions. If the Vis are missing from these two locations you may need to
reinstall NI-Fgen ensuring that LabVIEW support is selected to be installed.

JaceD
Signal Sources Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,566 Views)
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  I do have Fgen 2.6.1 installed on the system and I am using labview 2009.  I cannot see the NiFgen tools in the pallete.  Has labview 2009 changed convention and is now using the IVI class for Fgen instead?  Fgen was installed prior to labview, do you think that may have something to do with it?  I found an example for IVI class drivers, thanks to your advice, that seems to be working.  The only thing that bothers me is that the session handle it accepts is ni5450.  I have 8 of them, so I don't see where I would distinguish between each device.  Using the device logical name returns an error. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,557 Views)

Yes, installing the driver before LabVIEW has everthing to do with your problem.

If you are going to use IVI, you will have to create a locgical name for each instrument you have.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,546 Views)