From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different types of sensors in the same SCXI module

I am trying to use the same SCXI 1100 module to measure temperatures from 2 different sources. One source uses E-Type of thermocouples while the other uses K-type of thermocouples. I will be physically connecting the 15 E type of TC's in the 0 to 14 channels of the SCXI-1100 module and the 5 K-type of TC's in channels 15 to 19. I have two questions. First, how do I take care of the different types of thermocouples. What I tried to do is to scan the two set of channels (E-type and K-type) separately as you can see in the attached vi. However when I specify the list of channles to scan as ob0!sc1!md1!0:14 (for E-type) and ob0!sc1!md1!15:19 (for K-type), I get some "Error - 10001 at AI-Config group" error. When I change
the channel list for K-Type of TC's to
ob0!sc1!md1!20:24, I do not get the error. Can you tell me why ?

My next question, is there a better way to do what I am doing, I is it really necessary scan the different set of channels differently ? Also I am expecting to see a array of 15 (for E-Type) and 5 (K-Type) number when I as an output, but I see only one element for both of them, any reasons why thats happening ? something wrong with the vi ?

Thanks a lot !!

Dunty
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,766 Views)
The best and easiest way to program your application would be to use virtual channels in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). Within MAX, you can create a virtual channel for each thermocouple (will work with both E and K type thermcouples) and when running a basic analog input VI (Cont Acq & Chart (buffered) VI for example), you can use the virtual channels for the channel names rather than the long SCXI-channel string. The document linked below goes into more detail of creating virtual channels. I hope this helps.

What Is a Virtual Channel? How Do I Create One?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/31C55E253B023189862569850068B8AE?OpenDocument

Regards,

Todd D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,765 Views)