Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9217 with PT100 resistance thermometer connection details

I'm trying to measure the temperature using a NI 9217 with a PT100 resistance thermometer Elimko E-KC-100.

Catalog Elimko E-KC-100 , Type PT100:

http://www.elimko.com.tr/files/e_kc_100_e1301470771.pdf

Catalog NI 9217 

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374187c.pdf

I couldn't make the right connection somehow, probably the PT100 card is designed to give output for 4-20 mA, but also the connections for the resistance measurement is readily available too.

So my questions:

1) To which terminals on the PT100 - converter should be the NI connections made (EX0, RTD0+ , RTD0– ,COM ) ?

2) How to select and calibrate the Labview component to rightly measure with Type PT100 ( Min: -200°C Max: +840°C )

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(9,591 Views)

Well, if you have a Pt100 and 9217 and want to get the best resolution you shouldn't use the elimko and connect the the Pt100 directly to the 9217 in four wire mode. Se figure 4 in the manual.

How many wires does your Pt100 sensor have?

Since the elimko output a current and the 9217 measure resistance you can't connect them and get meaningful results, if not destroing the 9217 input !

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(9,572 Views)

Thanks...

We made the connection now on Lab-View we read a temperature of T1=141C at the output of 9217 (which should be 22 C). How to convert this value to actual temperature? Can you upload maybe a sample program? Which module should be used?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(9,566 Views)

Cangar,

You can create our own custom scale to display the data properly, please check the link to Make Custom Scales

Regards,

Eric NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(9,557 Views)

Thanks ,

I solved the problem, I used the sample program for 9217 , and got the result in Degrees Celsius, just as i needed.

There is a sample program for every module, we didn't know it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(9,552 Views)

Further to this post, I am having issues connecting a temperature probe to the ni 9217 module.

The temp probe I have is as follows:

http://www.status.co.uk/product/37_4-20ma--temperature-transmitter-pc-programmable-pt100.html

Again the question is identical, what are the connections to be made? (EX, RTD+, RTD- and COM)

I have been looking at the diagram for connection in 4-wire configuration, does the EX terminal need connected to something?

Basically I have set it up with the following connections previously, RTD+ toRTD0+/ RTD- to RTD0-/ COM to RTD0-, set the output to read from ni 9217 module ai0 and nothing???

I have also had the temp probe operating by alternate connection methods, basically by connecting an external excitation current and feeding the signal into the ni 9207 module, seems to work but I am having trouble keeping the voltage of my supply and current stable, any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(8,733 Views)

This is a transmitter. That means: it is only an electronic module to generate a current of 4-20 mA from a resistance temperature sensor PT100. You cannot connect this to a NI9217, it needs a Pt100 temperature sensor, they usually come together.

What is your temperature sensor connected to this? Please provide information about it so I can help more precisely. Read the manual, that should have a Input PT100 as shown in the first page: http://www.status.co.uk/files/manual/37.pdf

Then you have 2 options:

1) If you have already a NI 9217 module, you can connect your PT100 temperature sensor directly without using a transmitter. That means: Remove the transmitter, simply connect red cable (1) to RTD+, white cable (2) to RTD- and the second white cable (3) to COM. Use the sample NI 9217 program provided in the samples folder of NI.

2) If you want to use a PT100 sensor + this transmitter, you need a current input module such as NI 9208. There you will read a current of 4-20 mA and convert this to a temperature reading. Again use the sample NI 9208 program provided in the samples folder of NI.

I hope this will help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(8,720 Views)

Thanks for your reply, The unit I have has the sensor built in, it is a sensor and transmitter in the one unit, thats why I am getting confused on the connection of the unit. When looking at the manual as you pointed out, the pins for pt100 are in fact the 3 pins on the daigram below that are not labelled.

Apologies for the mistake in my post saying I had it working with the NI 9207 when it was in fact a 9208 that I was using. I have had it working when connected to the NI 9208 module by connecting an external excitation source and used an adequate program to get temperature measurement. Basically, this is a project that I have taken over and for some reason the NI 9217 has been ordered and I cannot figure out why. The main issue I am having at the minute is getting a stable power supply to provide the low excitation current provided, if you can provide any further info with respect to this that would be great. If I am connecting this wrong correct me please.

Basically it has 2 wires coming from the unit (colour is whatever i put on it for the minute), but the connection I have carried out is as per diagram on first page with the loop load being the NI 9208 module, again correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(8,715 Views)

Also, what about the 2-wire connection in the following page:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14353/en

would this work? Or is it as you said, you can't connect this type to the NI 9217?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(8,713 Views)

Let me ask again for simplicity:

1) You have a PT100 temperature sensor connected to this SEM206/P transmitter, is this right ?

2) Do you have a NI 9208, or a NI 9217 or both?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(8,709 Views)