Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum bridge resistance NI-9237

Does anybody know if a full bridge sensor with an input resistance of 6.3 kOhms can be used with the NI 9237 Bridge Input Module. The operating instructions mentions only 120 and 350 Ohms but gives no information on any maximum value. A data sheet for the actual sensor is available at http://www.rselectronics.com/Attachments/PDF/HNS176PC14HD2.pdf .

Best regards,
nos
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,488 Views)

Hello nos,

I just saw this post and thought I'd see if I can still help.

The only limitation that I believe might really affect the 9237 is the 150mW maximum power as stated on page 16 of the manual.

With this in mind, I would expect that it all depends on what excitation voltage you use.

If you use the formula P=V2/R with V as the excitation voltage and R as your device's resistance, then you should be able to check if you exceed this power limitation.

I hope this helps,

Let me know your thoughts,

Kind Regards,

Michael S.
Applications Engineer
NI UK & Ireland

Message 2 of 4
(6,431 Views)

Michael,

Thank you for your response.

The potential problem  that I was concerned with was that the sensor would draw such a small supply current, due to it's input resistance being 6.3 kOhms, that some minimum supply current threshold may not be reached. However, it seems that this is not the case as we were able to connect one of the sensors to a NI 9237 and get sensible responses to pressure changes.

Best Regards,

nos

Message 3 of 4
(6,419 Views)

Hello nos,,

I am glad that you were able to progress with your application and that this power limit did not pose a problem.

Please do let me know if I can help further,

Kind Regards,

Michael S.
Applications Engineer
NI UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,413 Views)