Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView version 7.1 to control a SCXI1000 chassis

I am using LabView version 7.1 to control a SCXI1000 chassis and I�m using an 1121 module with a 1320 terminal block. The DAQ card I am using is a PCI6024E. The problem is that the card doesn�t see the modules in the chassis when setting it up in MAX. It keeps saying that the chassis is empty.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,272 Views)
Hi Bla Bla,
It's hard to say from your description of what you are seeing what could be going wrong but there are several things that can cause this behaviour and that you can check.
Please read this link:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/8698583D26B10BC1862568FF0058CF31?OpenDocument

This is a brief explanation of what happens when you try to Auto-detect an SCXI module and what to check when it doesnt work.

If after going through the points mentioned in that document you still cannot detect your 1121 module try the module in a different chassis or a different module in the chassis you are using at the moment to determine whether the module or the chassis are the problem. You may also want to test your DAQ card to check that it is func
tioning correctly as well.

I hope this helps,

Chris M
Applications Engineer NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,272 Views)
Thank you for your answer. I had tried most of them but I retired them again with all the reasons that were mentioned but still no joy. I have tired two different chassis, a number of different modules and also different PC�s with a DAQ card so I think it is something I am doing wrong when setting it up in MAX. I am using LabView 7.1 but the chassis are old modules. Is there difficulty here? Also what is the difference between Traditional NI-DAQ Devices and NI-DAQmx Devices in MAX? Should the chassis be set up in both or only one of these?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,272 Views)
Hi Bla Bla,
I sorry to hear you are still having problems. From what you say the chassis is being seen but no modules are seen and also you have trried several chassis and modules so it may well be the set up in MAX. Firstly the modules you are using are all compatible with LV7.1,Tradional DAQ and DAQmx as is your DAQ card so the issue doesnt lie there. Firstly I would start MAX as usual then whilst keeping the power to the chassis on with the modules in and connected to the DAQ card reboot the PC and retry MAX to give the chassis and module a chance to register in MAX again.

Also have you tried a different cable or aquiring data without using the scxi chassis to check that the DAQ cards are working?
Have you tried connecting to the D
AQ cable through a different module?
Have you checked the backplane fue of the module?
On the SCXI-1000, the backplane fuses are located behind the fan. If this has blown then the chassis will act as if it is empty.

The difference between Traditional DAQ and DAQmx is largely one of programming style, programming with DAQmx is easier and is much more automated using wizards etc. Traditional DAQ is more complicated. Your chassis should show up in both DAQmx and Traditional as your modules, SCXI chassis and modules are compatible with both however it may be better for you to pick on method and use that although your situation either method is ok.

I hope this information Helps,

ChrisM
Applications Engineer NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,272 Views)