From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIR filter in Matlab for bandpass 250kHz - 700kHz and sampling frequency 250MSPS

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,
I want to design filter to implement on FPGA with a mentioned parameters in subject but when i am starting to design it on matlab fdatool, it gives very high order filter result, and when i decrease or set by myself upto 10 order its impulse response is not good as i want.

I am using high speed ADC with 250MSPS.
Any idea will be highly appreciable.
Regards,
Umair

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,747 Views)

Hi umaair_65,

If the order of the selected filter is very high, because you need a high attenuation or a specific inpulse response, than it is the result of the design parameters.

I think you can only

- Change the type of filter (IIR instead of FIR)

- Change the parameters (cutoff frequency, ...)

- Use multiple filters instead of one filter

Regards, Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,724 Views)

Hi Stephan,

If i go with second option of changing the place of cutoff frequency like 5MHz then may be it will give better response but what do you think it will create a problem when i will implement this on FPGA?

Secondly if i go with the same second number solution for high pass filter, i have already analysed in Matlab a high pass filter with 50 order and it gives better impulse response on FDATOOL but again my question is,it will affect the signal of between BP filter range??

Thanks,

Umair

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,719 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author umaair_653

Hi Umair,

you can theoretically designe any filter you want on a FPGA. If you can implement the filter on a give FPGA-Target is another story.

There are usally some limitations on a FPGA, which you have to take into account:

- Number of FlipFLops, LUT, ...

- Maximum loop rate

- Number of available multipliers

It is almost not possible to tell you, if you can implement your filter on a given FPGA-Taregt. The only way to get the proper answer is to try it. A filter with order=50 could be really large and maybee doesn't fit on the FPGA or doesnt meet the loop rate which you need.

I don't use the FDATOOL, so I can't give you an answer to your second question.

Stephan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,715 Views)

Thanks Stephan,

Umair

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,710 Views)