From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESD damaging NI 9234 module

Hi,

I'm using a NI 9234 DSA module with a triaxial accelerometer (IEPE powered, AC coupled). The system works fine for a while, and then one of the channels goes out - with lots of noise riding on almost no signal.

When I replace the module with a new one ($1800!), the system works fine again for a day or two, and then a channel goes out again. It is not always the same channel.

The system has been working fine for several years without a NI 9234 problem, but now, I have had three modules fail in the last week and my system is down with no more spares.

Any ideas as to wht could be causing this damage? Is it possible that it is ESD when the operator picks up the accelrometer to place it on the DUT?

Thanks and regards,

Charlie Allan

Novatorque

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,491 Views)

So, what has changed?

New/additional/changed installation?

Broken ground/shield cable?

I would hook up a scope at the inputs and monitor various differential voltages.

The accelerometer commonly are used in a setup ..  is that stationary (machine monitoring) or changing (test/cal facility) ?  

If you power up/down  or connect/disconnect  items, maybe spikes are generated....   

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,471 Views)

Hi Henrik,

I spoke with NI about this problem, and they thought that it might be the DAQ chassis causing the 9234's to fry. So I changed the chassis, and have had no other 9234 failures in one week:)

Thank you for your quick response.

Charlie

Message 3 of 4
(4,392 Views)

Thank you for the feedback.  Seems that you found  the reason. Migth help others in the future.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,383 Views)