Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect PCI6070E, 64 Chan DAQ board to 3 SCXI-1120D boards set in parallel mode.

I would like to Connect PCI6070E, 64 Chan DAQ board to 3 SCXI-1120D boards set in parallel mode.
I found a posting with information about how to do this with a DIO-96, "Controlling Three Digital SCXI Modules in Parallel Mode Using the DIO-96". I suspect that there may be a similar set up for connecting a multi function card.

It appears to me that I could use the pin config for the two 68 pin ends of the 1006868 cable and create a custome cable to go from the 68 pin ends to the 50 pin connectors on the back of the SCXI cards but would like to find a set up similar to the one listed for the DIO96 mentioned above.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,834 Views)
This would not be possible with a 6070E. The 6070E only has 16 AI channels. It may however be possible with a 6071E with its 64 AI channels. If you are still interested in learning more regarding how to possibly accomplish this with a 6071E, post back to this thread.

Jared A
Message 2 of 14
(5,818 Views)
JaredA,
You are correct. I misstyped that number I'm using the 6071E 64 channel E-series DAQ card.
The 1120D isn't set in stone but the 6071 is. The 1120D seemed to be the best solution because of the isolation that we desire and jumper settings instead of being set up through MAX.

Thanks,
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,811 Views)
Hello DVS,

I read somewhere that this should be possible. I will investigate and get back to you promptly.

Serges L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,800 Views)
Hello,

I have a similar question that I have posted in another thread:

My M Series PXI-6254 has two 68 pin connectors.
The 1st connector for differential channels 0 to 7.
The 2nd connector for differential channels 8 to 15.
Is it possible to connect two SCXI-1520 cards in parallel
mode to one PXI-6254 which has two 68pin connectors?

Kevin.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,687 Views)
After some good research by the NI support team a pretty good solution has been achieved.
NI has a little known about part called a 4 to 1 adapter. The adapter receives a 100-pin cable such as the one used for the 6071E and splits into 4 - 68 pin connectors. These 4 connectors are conveniently situated on a PCB so that they will plug into 4 consecutive SCXI-1349s in 4 consecutive SCXI signal conditioning cards.
Here's the catch. The first card can be used as normal in the SCXI chassis. The next 3 cards have to be used in parallel mode. I am actually running my system with out MAX recognizing the SCXI chassis and cards at all. They are basically any body's analog signal conditioning as far as MAX is concerned. I have virtual channels that point to the individual differential channels on the 6071E, which in turn is connected through the 100-pin cable to the 4 to 1 adapter and to the scxi cards. It works very well.

I was warned by NI that the Cal values that are built into the scxi card are read by MAX and then applied when the system is configured. So my method of using the system would suffer with a little more error that what is in the specification of the scxi cards. I tested with a calibrated voltage source. I found that they were right. With the SCXI cards being used and configured through MAX I was more accurate. But the difference was insignificant for my application. The difference was any where from 0 to 15mV. But with a 12-bit board the difference was 0 to 3 bits.

Thanks for submitting suggestions to my post.
Dave
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,685 Views)
Does the 4 to 1 Adapter have a part number?

Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,682 Views)
Hello Kmcdevitt,

Regarding your question on wheter you can control two SCXI chassis using the two connectors of the M Series, it is not possible yet, but stay tune. It is being looked into.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,672 Views)
Kevin,
The part # you requested:
860644-01 NI SCXI 4-TO-1 REAR BUS ADAPTER (BOARD ONLY)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,666 Views)
I have searched the entire National Instrumets site and even google for this part number and the discription.

860644-01 NI SCXI 4-TO-1 REAR BUS ADAPTER (BOARD ONLY)

Do you have a web address link to it or a catalog page number?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,660 Views)