From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifications on PXIe 4330 SC Express Module Design

Hi,

Can anyone help me find answers to the below listed clarifications on the design of NI PXIe 4330 SC Express module.

1. The specification says there's short-circuit protection between EX to GND pins.
1.1. Is it safe for the 4330 module to have a sustained short between EX and GND?

1.2. How is the short-circuit protection triggered? If the sensor has a problem and starts to draw more current, does the 4330 unit shut-off the excitation 

supply? i.e. from the point of the sensor and harness, is the excitation source current limited?

2. I have piezo-resistive (NOT piezo-electric) full-bridge pressure sensors that are in Wheatstone bridge configuration. Since they too work based on
'change in resistance', I am assuming they work fine with 4330. Please confirm this.

3. Is there any spec for maximum resistance of the arms of a full-bridge? My piezo-resistive
sensors have resistances (between EX and GND and between OP+ and OP-) in the range 3kOhm to 6kOhm.

4. How is the grounding/return scheme for excitation and analog-input?

5.1 Do all channels share the same EX- line?

5.2 Is there any isolation between channels? Are all channels completely independent?

6. In case of a failure in the module, what is the maximum excitation voltage that can appear at the output? Can it be reasonably proven that a voltage limit
exists for exciation that cannot be exceeded under no circumstances?
For example, if the module is powered by 12V, we can reasonably argue that in case of a failure of any component, the voltage cannot exceed 12V. Can a
similar argument be made for the 4330?

Thank You.

Warm Regards.

Sagar G Yadav

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(5,492 Views)