Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquire PC sound with acquire sound express VI - PC BUILT IN MICROPHONE

Hi, im really newbie with labview but my goal is to acquire the PC built in microphone with the acquire sound express VI function, convert to dB data and if the dB values are bigger than "n" (for example bigger than 80dB) for "n" seconds a led turn on.

Is it possible? How could i do it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,270 Views)

Take a look at the examples 🙂

continous sound input.vi is a good start.

Now you have the raw data...

Do you need a weigthning curve?  How to define and calculate the 'overload'?

A lot is 'well' defined in standards ...

A simple solution: Calculate the FFT Power spectrum (use the exp. average for your n seconds) and use  the waveform monitoring vis for the limits.

Expand the first try with a producer consumer architecture ..  While you capture the next x00 ms of data in the producer loop, calculate the result in the consumer loop.

(It took me more time to write this than to program it.... ,  OK building a fancy GUI may eat up more time)

Your biggest problem will be the 'correct' 80dB limit without a traced pistophone or calibrated mic.

While playing around with my build in mic on my DELL laptop , I found that it will work up to 80kHz !! Smiley Surprised  (checked with a piezo speaker on an old wavetek generator) I was able to use it for bat detection 🙂  

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,249 Views)

Henrik:

80KHz, wow, sounds like they are using a piezo mic element.

Bat detection, cool!

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,235 Views)

Hi,

yes, your application is possible with LabVIEW. There is an example on the Example Finder of LabVIEW 2014 from you can start to develop. It's called Contiuons Sound Input.vi.

That VI already acquire the sound from the microphone you set. Later you can use the Tone Measurements.vi to measure the frequency and convert to Db.

Have a nice evening!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,232 Views)

Thank you all for the help, i will try!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,221 Views)