From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-20ma interfacing with 9203 module

I have a client with various 4-20ma senders.  One sender spec states that the load resistance must be >= 250 ohms.  We plan to use the 9203 module, the spec sheet of which states that the input impedance is 138 ohms.  I plan to add a series resistor to the channel to increase the load resistance to >= 250 ohms.  Any thoughts on this approach?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,852 Views)

kc64:

Your approach should work, just don't go with too high of a resistor or you may exceed the compliance voltage that the sender can deliver.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,849 Views)

Hi,

are you sure, that is the other way around. I you put a resistor of 1kOhm, at 20mA, you will 20V. With a load loop resistor of 250Ohm, you get 5V.

Remember this, if you use a LEM to measure current, you will get a load loop resistor of 0Ohm.

Best Regards,

António

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,846 Views)

The sending device can output only so many volts, typically a few volts below it's supply voltage.

Say the sender was powered by a 12V supply. If 1Kohm was the loop resistance, there is no way the device could send a 20mA signal since the 20V loop drop exceeds what the sender is being supplied with (12V).

-Ak2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,841 Views)

Actually, the device is powered by the same two wires that provide the loop current.  There are no other power supply wires.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,829 Views)

The requirement for load resistance >250 ohms seems odd to me also, is this the wrong way round?

Should the load resistance be less than 250 ohms.

Does the device have HART communication? What sensor is it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,319 Views)

Hart es diferente a 4- 20 mA

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,480 Views)