From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication and Deployment Utility (RAD)

Dear all,

I've spent some time on the NI web site, but I still haven't found an answer (just an hint from: http://www.ni.com/example/30986/en/). I hope this isn't a duplication of an already solved question.

I'm curently using for my project the RAD 5.5.2. It works fine. My images contain also the bit files for the FPGA.

I need to install the RAD on a new PC (only the RAD utility without LabVIEW).

I found the possibility to download the RAD 14.0 (http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_INFORAD/US).

I'd like to know if the images I created with RAD 5.5.2 are fully compatible with RAD 14.0.

Note1. RAD 5.5.2 is installed with: NI System Configuration 5.6, LabVIEW Runtime Engine 2012, NI RIO 13.0

Note2. RAD 14 requires NI System Configuration 14.0, LabVIEW Runtime Engine 2014, NI RIO 13.0

0 Kudos
Message 241 of 324
(2,038 Views)

Hi,

I have been trying to figure this out, but i cant find a solution my self. Hopefully this is already solved and I am fumbling. 

When a new sbRIO card arrives it comes with a pre installed firmware/operating system. See image preinstalled firmware.png

If i patch this card with updated firmware (security patches and such) as they come out and i make an image with the RAD tool of the sbRIo with the updated firmware I cant install this image on new cards arraving unless i manually upgrade/downgrade the firmware to the same version as the one the image had. I would like to have the firmware version included in the image file, though i can see that it might be hard. A good second solution would be to be able to patch firmware from the RAD tool itself. 

Am a correct that this is a problem  and that i can not patch firmware from RAD?

Regards

Mas

Message 242 of 324
(2,002 Views)

I don't believe that is something RAD currently supports, however you could modify the RAD source and use the NI System Configuration API Update Firmware to accomplish what you want.

The only trick is to use the System Session property node (Software palette) to get a handle to the System Resource (green wire) to pass to Upgrade FW.vi (Hardware palette).

Message 243 of 324
(1,983 Views)

Thank you for the information. That is what i figured. Good to know that there is support for it in the system pallett, mabey i will look into including it in the tool myself.

However, a question to the developers/maintaners then, is there any plans to include this into the official RAD tool? I would think this is something that many/all user would benefit from having.

Regards

Mas

0 Kudos
Message 244 of 324
(1,944 Views)

Hi,

I have a problem with writting images to cRIO-9035 controllers using RAD: after the image is written the controller enters in safe-mode. I have to manually uncheck "Force Safe-Mode" from MAX and reboot the controller to operate normally. Do you know what could be the cause? I had no issues with the "old" cRIO-9068. I tested on 3 controllers (all 9035) with RAD 14.0 and 5.5.2 with the same result.

Thanks in advance,

Lucian

Firmware version: 3.0.0f0;

LabVIEW 2015, RAD 14.0(and 5.5.2)

Lucian
CLA
Message 245 of 324
(1,922 Views)

For over a year I have been using the RAD tool for doing field upgrades for cRIO applications. Until yesterday I had no issues with either myself or others installing LabVIEW runtime engine and running the RAD tool.  Today a remote user encountered an error.   I have attached the screenshot of the error that occurred (VI has error of type 2208).

I have found other forum posts related the the message: "VI has error of type 2208" for other LV executables, but not the RAD tool.  Also, I don't see a solution to this error.

I'm posting to see if anyone has encountered "VI has error of type 2208" when trying to run the latest version of the RAD tool and if there is a work around?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 246 of 324
(1,914 Views)

Jeremy,

Is there anything different about this remote user? Version of OS or other software? It sounds like rad_Check Image RT-INI For AutoRun.vi, rad_Modify and Deploy RT-INI.vi, rad_Enable FPGA.vi may have become corrupted somehow. I would suggest downloading RAD again and recompiling.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 247 of 324
(1,897 Views)

Hi there,

is there any ongoing development regarding this tool? I read on the previous pages that there are some issues with the current version, which were not resolved if I got it right. For my part, I'm struggling to deploy images on targets secured with an FTP password or even images which include a password in ni-rt.ini to a formatted cRIO.

For example, I get Error -2147220361 at nisyscfg.lvlib, when trying to deploy an image on a password secured device. Also, changing IP etc. did not work. I also had a look into the source code, but I got lost in the numerous uses of the VI used to manage passwords of the devices. I figured that it used an empty string instead of accepting the password I actually entered, but I can not say I understand the project good enough to fix it. For example: Why is "Version" wired to "password"???

So I hope, someone already had the same issue and knows how to fix it?

Simo

Message 248 of 324
(1,639 Views)

Hi Simo,

While RAD is not offically supported, the underlying System Configuration API is still developed and maintained by NI. It sounds like there might be an issue with password protected devices. I would like to try to replicate what you are seeing, and pinpoint what is going on. Couple questions:

What cRIO are you using?

What version of RAD are you using?

At what point in the process is error 2147220361 thrown? Screenshots possible>

Is there an error thrown when changing the IP address?

Would you be able to share the cRIO image with me?

Message 249 of 324
(1,590 Views)

Dear Christian,

I have an issue with the RAD software, which i have just noticed. We are using the RAD tool to create an image of our RT software and subsequently copy it to the other cRIOs in order to avoid connecting with MAX, formatting the cRIOs one by one etc. Everything was running smoothly, until I noticed a small detail which it was causing a small kick on the footplates due to the Packet Detection in Max. I was told my the Motion Group to have this setting in Polling at 1ms.

When we copy the image from the Master cRIO we set the Packet Detection property to Polling at 1ms instead of Line Interrupt (see attachment picture 1). Now when we deploy the image to a new cRIO and we apply the Network Configuration found in the Image (see attachment picture 2) the setting of the Packet detection is not changed and it remains to the Line Interrupt instead of polling which we would like to have. In other words, that particular settings is not changed by the RAD tools and all the cRIO come with the Line Interrupt mode by default.

We need to find a way to do this via the image because it will be quite annoying to connect to all cRIOs in production in order to change just one setting.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Best

Efthymiou Spyros

Message 250 of 324
(1,304 Views)