Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

status light constant yellow crio

I am working as a volunteer at IIT on a CRIO 9002.

A coworker in the lab decide to change how the computers are networked.

After he change the network I can no longer see the cRIO in labview or MAX.  Also the status light on the cRIO is a constant yellow.  He tried to remap everything to the orginal configuration but that did not help.

I had a sbRIO and I attached it to his computer and I saw it immediately in Max.

How does one get the status light back to green and also see his cRIO.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,266 Views)

Hi, 

A continuously solid yellow status light means the flash memory on the controller is corrupt. You can see this in the 9002 manual here http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373561c.pdf#page=11. 

First trouble shooting step is to get the cRIO in safemode. You can do this by switching the SAFEMODE DIP switch on the front of the controller to ON. Restart the cRIO. You should then see a STATUS light that flashes 3 times every second.

Then try discovering the cRIO in MAX. If you're not able to discover the cRIO in MAX while it's in Safe Mode we can then try enabling CONSOLE OUT, another DIP Switch. You will then need a null modem cable which you will connect to a PC. Use this KB: "How Do I Enable Console Out on my cRIO" http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/354A5124E6A667988625701B004A77CD to guide you through the process. We will then be able to see the IP address on the controller, where we can then manually add it in MAX.

Once the cRIO is discovered in NI MAX while it's in Safe Mode we can then simply do a format of the controller. You will just right click the cRIO in MAX and choose 'Format'. Select the option to 'Preserve all Network Settings" and then format the controller. 

Once the format is complete you will reinstall software to the cRIO (right click 'Software' under the target in MAX and choose "Add/Remove Software') and then re deploy your LabVIEW code. 

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions about the procedure!

Daniel Parrott
Software Product Marketing - Data Management & LabVIEW
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,242 Views)

Thank you so much for your answer!

I can not tell you how much it means to me to be able to resolve this problem.  I was able to buy a couple of sbRIO but the price of the cRIO is more than I could afford.  So I have very limited exposure to working with the cRIO hardware.  One of the reasons for volunteering is to give me exposure to the cRIO.  The other reason I love LabVIEW and programming it is far more important then anything else. 

I know that I can be very successful creating the applicaiton that the professor needs, it is your solution to the hardware issue that will allow me to continue on with this project.

I usually go to IIT on Saturday,  As soon as the lab is open I will try your solution.  I am sure that your assesment is 100% accurate and also your solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,226 Views)

Glad I could help, let me know how it goes! 

Daniel Parrott
Software Product Marketing - Data Management & LabVIEW
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,212 Views)