From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO-9651 Reference Carrier Board Specifications

Solved!
Go to solution

There is a little bit of info about the reference board included in the SOM development kit inside the document http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376960a.pdf, but it does not say for eaxmple what the power requirements for the board are. 

I'm putting one such kit into a test box and do not want to use the accompanying power supply. So I'm looking for the tolerances of the board to see what other power supplies I can use. I can match the properties of the standard supply of course, and that is probably what I will do, but I was hoping to be able to go a bit outside that range...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,968 Views)

Hello Mads,

Can it be that you are looking for the Electrical Specifications mentioned in this document?

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376962b.pdf

If I misunderstood the question, then please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,956 Views)

As far as I can see those specifications are for the SOM itself only, not for the carrier board...or am I overlooking something?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,931 Views)

Hello Mads,

You are right.

I had read your post and assumed that you were interested in embedding the sbRIO-9651 itself (and not the Development Kit) into your test boxes.
My apologies for the wrong assumption.

The only reason I did this was because most (if not all) power supply related questions I have received conderning the sbRIO-9651 were in the end about putting the OEM version in a separate enclosure/box.

Your post did correctly stipulate "Development Kit", so I should have ot assumed incorrectly.

I don't believe those electrical specifications are provided for the Development kit.
If you want to use an alternate Power Supply for the development kit, then you can always take the OEM specs as absolute minimum specs (starting point) and measure the actual required/used power for the Development Kit.

Based on what your measurements give in normal operation (and start-up) of your application, you can decide which Power Supply would be most suitable.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,922 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mads

Hi MTO,

The PCB for the Reference Carrier has a silk screen label that references the power input requirements at a high level:

9-16V, 25W.  The documentation for the reference carrier is intentionally lightweight because it isn't designed or tested for deployed systems.  The reference carrier is only intended for desktop evaluation.  

Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 9.34.38 AM.png

Cheers,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,903 Views)