Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no exception thrown when accessing a file on cRIO 9030 while it is being written to

I have a cRIO 9030 that is running a labview program developed by a 3rd party (I can not modify it in LABVIEW). In short once it receives a trigger it writes a tdms file to its local disk. I wrote a .NET application to survey when new files are created and then I proceed to push them up to a network location.

Here is the problem....I have no way to tell if a file is complete. I do not get an exception when I try to open a file with write privileges while it is being appended by the crio. I have also tried to check the size of the file continuously as it is being written and that fails to update. I have tested various methods locally and these issues only pop up when I test with the cRIO.

My question is why does the cRIO not place any lock on the file when it is writing it? Why does the file size not refresh? Is there a better way to test if a file is complete? Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,469 Views)

When writing to a TDMS file you can either select the option to 'write' or to 'read and write', which allows the file to be opened (read) while it is being written to. Unfortunately, because you do not have the ability to modify the LabVIEW code you will have to work around this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,451 Views)