From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnect with cRIO randomly and cannot reset IP address again

Hi, all,

We are running cRIO9074 with Labview Real-Time 9.0. We cannot even ping the cRIO even after doing multiple IP resets, connecting with crossover cable, connecting back up again to our network, etc. all of this results in us not being able to ping the cRIO. It makes sense that we can’t ping it when connecting through our network since we are on different subnets (see screenshots below). However, I cannot understand why we cannot connect when connected with crossover cable. Also not sure why the DHCP will not assign an IP. One thing I noticed was that “Halt on IP Failure” is set to “Yes” (see screenshots below). We have already tried everything suggested on the links sent.

It is additionally important to understand that this occurred randomly (and has occurred two times in the past) where we are testing then suddenly our connection is lost. In the past we have noticed that when this happens connecting via a crossover cable would work then several days later connecting up to the network with the same router would work again??? WE also initially had problems connecting to this cRIO when we first got it because it had software issues. This is becoming very frustrating and has resulted in significant time lost on this project.

Thank you 

ip bug.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,861 Views)

Hi,

Everything you have said leads me to believe that you have run out of IP addresses on your subnet. We are actually having a similar problem right now. If you set the IP Address to "DHCP or Link Local," your router will try to assign the RIO an IP address. If it can't (usually because there are none left on the subnet), it will set a link local address. From your screenshot, I can see that your IP is link local (169.254.xxx.xxx).

If you are having trouble connecting with a crossover cable then this could be a different issue. Have you looked at this KB to make sure you are setting both the IP address of your computer and RIO to static? If you aren't then a crossover cable won't work.

If it doesn't sound like I've described your issue, could you try using console out to get some more information? Here are instructions on how to do this. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,846 Views)
I work for a frac company and we had some problems on a 9023 CRIO loosing secondary IP address. in order to communicate with CRIO ...we use a program called RT applications to tap into 9023 CRIO....we update the IP and apply and refresh it seems to work going forward I don't know why but that program seems to fix are issue from it loosing IP ever again. We had another application that did not work it seems when programing it with software or IP issues. It would not stick. Being down or work stoppage cost thousands$$$$ but not anymore. By the way to communicate using the RT Application program and CIRIO ....you have to set your laptop local network up with a specific IP to connect to CRIO 9023 .
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,746 Views)