cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO stops functioning, when I disconnect LAN cable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI friends

I am using a cRIO 9030 controller. When I run my code as real-time application, and make it to "run on startup", cRIO restarts, and functions OK. But as soon as I disconnect LAN cable from cRIO or my laptop, the system acts strange. from the screen I see the program is running, but it seems all the network variables are frozen. It was not like this before, I ran into this problem recently. 

Any idea why that happens? Have I done something wrong or changed a settings that I should not have?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,655 Views)

if you look at the system settings in MAX is there a checkbox titled "Halt on IP failure"?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,623 Views)

I have not noticed that before. will look at it.

Bu why should it fail If I disconnect Ethernet cable from the controller? it is supposed to work without a cable anyways. I am confused.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,596 Views)

IoT.Windsor, if you are seeing the front panel on the computer, it makes sense that you see the variables stop. Are you using a monitor to the cRIO or on the computer?

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,588 Views)

Pedro

I am using a loptop to modify the source code and upload it to the controller. to display results, I have a monitor (touch screen monitor) that is connected to the controller.

When I make a standalone real-time application, and make it to "run on startup", the controller restarts and the program will run from controller. at this point the program should have nothing to do with laptop, because it is running from the controller (correct me if I am wrong).

If I leave the Ethernet cable connected to the laptop, the controller is functioning OK, but when I disconnect the Ethernet cable, problem starts.

This has been baffling me for couple of weeks now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,577 Views)

IoT.Windsor,

When you unplug the Ethernet cable from the system, does it resume reading data if you plug it back in? Also, are you hosting the shared variables on the cRIO?

Josh

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,556 Views)

When you unplug the Ethernet cable from the system, does it resume reading data if you plug it back in?

I think yes, it resumes once Ethernet cable is plugged again.

Also, are you hosting the shared variables on the cRIO?

Yes I am using shared variables on cRIO. (however, it is not connected to any network).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,553 Views)

IoT.Windsor, I am having problems understanding your architecture. You have a cRIO only connected through ethernet to your computer, you see on the screen of the cRIO that the network variables stop functioning when you disconnect the cable and they are back again when you connect the cable to the laptop. Am I right?

If you're hosting the variables in the cRIO, you need to connect it to a router or switch. The variables stop working because there is not an internet connection for them so the variable engine gets in a "listening" state and you see the program frozen.

Regards

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,547 Views)

Pedro, you got the system architecture right.

So, is it a true statement that :

"network shared variables works only if they are used in a network (such as a router)"

If this is the case, I should stop using network shared variables if I am not connecting cRIO to a network?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,544 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IoT.Windsor

IoT.Windsor, you can use them to communicate with the computer still but the cable is necessary.

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,542 Views)