From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO failure monitoring

Hello, 

I am new to CRIO and want to monitor the health status for my cRIO controllers and IO modules. I talked to the NI sales manger today and he mentioned that there should be some solutions for that. Now my question is: 

How could I monitor 1) the channel health status for each IO; 2) the IO module health status; 3) the whole CRIO chassis health status. If one chassis goes down, will the other chassis be able to detect and report failure? What would be the efficient way to implement this? Any example codes for this? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,722 Views)

Hey Mark,

We typically refer to these setups as a hot standby system. You basically have a pair of controllers that will communicate with each other to let them know they are alive. One is a master which controls the system the majority of the time and the other a slave or a standby. The simplest aproach have each unit send a heartbeat signal letting the other know it is ok. If the master should fail the slave takes over controlling the data. These can be easy to setup since most of the code is replicated you just need to provide a little tiering. You monitor the ouputs of the master with the slave to make sure they make sense and if the master gets out of range then have slave take over. 

A heartbeat can be anything from a TCP or UDP packet you send between the two systems or a serial connection to even a dio clock signal.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,718 Views)

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply! I am from process automation and get used to the ready-to-use solution. 🙂

Will implement some hearbeat detecting loigc for this.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,707 Views)