Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9068 failing to enter Scan Engine Active Mode with Balluff EtherCAT Slave device

Hello there. I am trying to get my cRIO-9068 to communicate with a Balluff EtherCAT Slave that has a Balluff IO module connected to the first port of the EtherCAT slave, and am running into the exact same problems as outlined in this thread. I've properly imported the .xml device files into the the EtherCAT Master inside the LV project. I'd post screenshots of the errors, but ones in the linked thread (i.e. failing to transition to the Safe-Op state) are nearly exactly what I'm running into, with the exception of the fact that my cRIO can't even detect the Balluff IO module connected to the first channel of the EtherCAT slave.

Screen.JPG

I'm using the following:

LabVIEW 2013 SP1

NI CompactRIO 13.1.1 - April 2014

LabVIEW Real-Time  13.0.1

NI-RIO 13.1

NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT 2.7

THe issue seems most similar to that of user Pete@NY in the linked thread linked above. Does this newer version of NI-IndCom for EtherCAT 2.7 support Module Initial Commands? If not, is there any resolution to my problem? When I search 3rd party EtherCAT troubleshooting on the forum, I see tons of posts. With the advent of so many powerful EtherCAT-based devices, I'm surprised to see such a diffuclty with NI controllers connecting to these 3rd party devices.

At any rate, please see the attached .xml files for both the EtherCAT slave device, and another containing descriptions for many popular Balluff devices that should be accessible through the slave. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Edit: Here and here are the manuals for the Balluff EtherCAT Slave and the Balluff IO Module that will connect to the first port of the slave.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,987 Views)

Hey,

It sounds like there may be a problem with the way you applied your xml file. Here are some resources that go over adding 3rd-party devices to LabVIEW.

How Can I Modify My EtherCAT XML Device Description to Include Different I/O?

Adding Third-Party EtherCAT® Slaves in LabVIEW

Programmatic Discovery of Third-Party EtherCAT Slaves Fails

Britton C.
Senior Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,932 Views)