Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9132 Running LV RT Linux - Programmatically shut down when power is pulled

Hello,

I am looking for some information, or if its even possible to programmatically shut down the cDAQ controller once the power cord is pulled. I found this link which shows how to do it programmatically, I need to also be able to sense once the power is pulled. I am not sure if this functionality was built into the cDAQ or not, I am assuming it is since they recommend never to pull the plug. I would think there would be enough charge delay once its pulled to allow something like this.

Once I deliver my product, I know some one will forget to push the 'power off' button and will just pull the cord instead. I'd like protection in that event. Any ideas/thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,725 Views)

Hello Michah, 

I believe there isn't a way for the cDAQ 9132 to go into a proper shutdown procedure after the power cord is pulled. My understanding is that there is pretty much an immediate loss of power. The best bet would be to use a redundant power supply. This would ensure that if the power cord is pulled out of the wall, there is still power being provided to the cDAQ. I am providing a link below that provides detailed information on various methods to power a cDAQ can be found in the link below. 

Link: Powering Your ComactDAQ System

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52635/en/

Regards, 

Shezaan Noorani 

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,673 Views)

Do you know what the affects would be for the cDAQ running Linux? The data sheet seems to warn about it if the system is running windows, but doesn't say anything if its running Linux.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,670 Views)

Hello Micah, 

We don't spec our systems for power failures which is why we provide the option for a redundant power supply. I would highly recommend not pulling the power cord, and if that is a real risk, using a back up power supply. That would be my personal recommendation. 

Regards,

Shezaan Noorani 

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,651 Views)