From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which c-series modules are compatible with Scan Mode?

OK, so I just wasted 4 hours.

I started a new Project with a need to use a 9220 analogue input card on a cRIO 9030, but immediately became stuck when I was unable to add the module using the right click Add New C-Series Module wizard to the 9030 chassis.

My first (and only) assumption was that this was a new card and I needed the latest Device Drivers. So I installed those.

When that failed I upgraded my LV2014 to LV2014 SP1, and also upgraded the Real-Time and FPGA modules too.

4 hours later, when that failed, I realised that maybe this isn't a card compatible with Scan Mode so began searching ni.com for information. I've searched a whole raft of terms and I just cannot find information on which modules are supported by Scan Mode (which is presumably nearly all of them). I know it exists somewhere because I one referred to it when I had an RS485 module that was only compatible in FPGA mode, about four years ago.

So:

1. Is there an easy way to determine if a C-Series module is compatible with Scan Mode? I still don't know!

2. Can we please have Scan Mode compatibility shown in the Add C-Seris Module Wizard. When attempting to add a module to a cRIO chassis, the wizard can hint to us that a particular module is not compatible. By not showing the 9220 in the drop down list I was led to believe the module was not a known device (and hence I attempted to upgrade my drivers). It would be better if the module was listed but disabled and not selectable, with some informational text to explain why. It's a fair assumption that a module will be compatible, so we don't expect it to not be listed when we attempt to add it. In fact, the possibility that some modules aren't compatible can evade your consciousness temporarily and make you do stupid things (like upgrade your installation!).

3. Can we please have Scan Mode compatability information put on each module's description page. That would have made this whole process much quicker.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,454 Views)

Well, I definitely agree that finding info about RSI module support is not as easy as it should be. Since I know where to look, I will refer you to this document, which I found linked from this page.

That's the best document I know of on the topic.

Cheers!

TJ G
Message 2 of 3
(4,446 Views)

Cheers TJ,

Consider that bookmarked! Smiley Very Happy

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,422 Views)