From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the simplest way to draw +5V from sbRIO-9637

Hi guys,

I try to read out a FlexiForce sensor attached to a Phidget 1120 adaptor with my sbRIO eval configuration (sbRIO 9637 + daughter card) in a proof-of-principle study. As the Phidget needs +5V supply, I'm looking for an easy way to power it from the sbRIO. The alternatives I came up with are:

1) take the +5V from the USB port (but that will waste the possibility to attach a disk...) or

2) write a constant output to an analog output (but since there are only two, I don't want to waste them either 🙂

Is there a better alternative? (As far as I know the (unused) CAN/RS connector don't have a +5V line...)

thanks for your help!

idx

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,961 Views)

Or you could read the manual (page 22) and the specification (page 9) and see that there is a +5V output on the DIO connector.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,939 Views)

Actualy I've seen this before posting. Unfortunately I couldn't find a proper description of the NI-daughter card attached to see if and where this line is propagated to it. Without propagation this info is rather useless since the card blocks the access to the DIO conector...

Thanks for your quick response anyway 😉

idx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,906 Views)

Can you share what daughter card you are referring to specifically? The only board that should interact with the MIO and DIO connectors on the Single-Board RIO controller is the 2mm IDC Breakout, which breaks out the connectors into screw terminals. The 5V connection from the DIO connector is directly propogated into a screw terminal on this accessory.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,903 Views)

Hi Eric,

thanks for your reply!. Unfortunately I don't know the excact specs...Its the (already attached, i.e. screwed on) card NI sells as part of their "BYOES" (build your own embedded system) one-day teching course. Idid this course, since I'm planning to develop a realtime EEG system and took the oppurtunity to get the sbRIO board far underpriced :-D. During the waiting time before our grant application is reviewed I'd like to solve some minor projects for that. Of of these is the precise timeout of that metionend pressure sensor (basically a pressure dependent resistor, the phidget mentioned realizes an appropriate amplifier...)

back to the car: It offers several small devices, pretty handy for testimg like a quad encoder, wave generator, LED's etc and covers both MIO and DIO connectors...and I didn't find a proper description in the NI database so far 😞

htanks again,

idx

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,892 Views)

Ah, I know exactly what you're talking about. That board comes as part of the LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit. It is not going to expose everything as its primary purpose is to help provide a guided process to try out an application and evaluate the platform. As you continue to evaluate the platform and try things out, you can remove that board as well to access the MIO and DIO connectors directly, but that means you will lose access to any of the items on the board.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,888 Views)

Hi Eric,

excactly 😉 So until i get a bright new insight, I think I fiddle the *5V from a "custom" USB cable (i.e. break it up, solder a branch and live with that 😄

thanks again for your reply!

But isn't it a shame that NI didn't route that obviously pretty usefull line through? tss,tss what a shame 😄

idx

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,885 Views)

To provide some insight into why we didn't expose the +5V power rail, it wasn't because we thought, "let's intentionally make this board less useful."  

The purpose of the eval board was to walk someone through a specific experience, learning the capabilities of LabVIEW and NI FPGA-based hardware products.  We were able to do that without the +5V line.  We were concerned that if we did expose the +5V line, then it may be tempting to a new-to-NI customer to jumper that line directly to a DIO pin.  FPGAs do not appreciate being over-voltaged (their limit is 3.3V), so driving 5V into a DIO could damage the Single-Board RIO.  Breaking a new Single-Board RIO is not a great getting started experience, so we elected to minimize the chance of that happening.

Regarding pulling power from the USB port, several maker-centric companies (Sparkfun, adafruit, etc.) have low cost accessories to breakout the power and/or data lines from a USB port without cutting and hacking up a cable.  Just be sure the power needed by whatever you are going to power is below the stated maximum current supported by the Single-Board RIO USB port.

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,882 Views)

Hi Spex,

thanks for your answer.

I didn't say that NI "intentionally" made this daughter card less useful than possible, but obfuscating/blocking outlets available on the sbRIO card seems questionable to me.

DIO and AIO is nicely separated on the daughter card. Why on earth would any reasonable engineer mixe those and possibly blow up the FPGA? (But by no means NI needs to justify their decision(s).. I just asked because I wasn't sure that I didn't overlook something, since I also wasn't able to find a manual for the daughter card)

Actually I expected an answer like "yup, there is no 5V line, so you have to do it like you suggested" or "Please take pin x, described in manual y in page z" (a manual would have helped by the way 😉

Thanks for the vendor information! (however, since I'm in europe ...) Anyway, soldering a y-outlet to some cable is quite within my range as an electrical engineer 😄

idx

Those who don't want find reasons, those who want find solutions...

Message 9 of 10
(3,860 Views)

I simply use +5V DIO pin to power other periphery.

sb9637 talk by 3.3V and read 5V buses. It seemed that they 5V tolerant.

If it no so then it may be strange place on DIO connector 28 3.3V level pin and 5V power pin together $)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,411 Views)