From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the USB port with multiple devices (via Hub)

Good morning,

I am using a sbRIO-9626 for my applicaiton and I need to use the USB port for two purposes:

- Connecting a USB camera (to be used with the Vision Acquisition SW)

- Expand the internal storage for logging connecting a 256Gb USB memory (please, correct me if I am wrong, but if I format the drive as FAT32 I should have no issues addressing this much memory).

The sbRIO-9626 has one of the 2 USBs that it features already wired to a USB connector, and the other port could be accessed via the RMC connector, option that I would prefer to avoid if possible. So my question is the following:

Can I connect a USB hub to the USB connector and connect both USB devices to it, without the need for wiring up the second USB port (via the RMC)?? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,985 Views)

Hi Fertek,

Thank you for your post.

Please may I know what USB Hub you are using and what type it is?

According to the manual, page 45, FAT32 type should not be a problem.

NI sbRIO-9605/9606 and NI sbRIO-9623/9626/9633/9636 OEM Operating Instructions and Specifications - ...

"Can I connect a USB hub to the USB connector and connect both USB devices to it"

What is your worry with trying this out?

Can you try this and post the results? 

Many thanks,

YD

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,948 Views)

Hi YusufD_UK, 

I did not have any USB Hub around yesterday, so I went ahead and bought one, together with a USB 256Gb Flash Memory (attached as an image to this post) and I have done some testing and can confirm that it works like a charm. 

The sbRIO-9626 is able to address the 256Gb perfectly (in FAT32), and the USB Hub expands the port as one would expect, so I have now 3 USB ports + 1 SD card slot (from the 1 that is wired in the board).

The SD card slot that is wired in the board can only handle SD and SDHC protocols, hence only 32Gb can be used. However via the USB Hub with the SD card slot, I can handle SDXC cards (this is still to be tested, but I am fairly confident). I don't have any SDXC card around to test it at the moment.

Thanks.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,945 Views)