Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using NI 9512 with Position Step Frequency Modulation? (cRIO)

I am attempting to power a stage for an experiment that requires a frequency modulation on the step signal sent to a stepper motor. I am using a cRIO-9076, an NI-9512 and a NI P70530 stepper driver to drive a third party stepper motor. the Position Step Frequency Modulation VI appears to be exactly what I need for my application, but I am having some difficulties working with it and the NI 9512.

Is it possible to use the 9512 in a FPGA VI? The PSFM requires use in a single-cycle timed loop, so I would like to send the Step and Direction signals directly to FPGA I/O for the 9512. However, the 9512 does not configure for use as FPGA I/O. In researching, I found examples using the 9501 module instead of the 9512, but that would require a lot of new equipment that I do not think I should have to purchase.

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions as to what to do, and even ideas as to how else I could tackle this problem.

Thank you,

Enan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,991 Views)

Hi ezelinski,

Please glance over the document below and let me know if it helps you out at all.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370984T-01/target4devicehelp/9512_io_reference/

Thanks for posting to our forums!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,974 Views)

Hi Hockeyjim,

Thank you for the suggestion!  I have already read that article, and it didn't seem to give me what I was looking for. I know that I can work with the 9512 with the FPGA, but I was wondering if there was a way to directly send it the Step and Direction commands from the FPGA. It does not seem possible to me because that seems to be taken care of by the 9512 and then sent to the stepper drive unit that I have attached. However, I may be wrong on that. I am fairly new to both LabVIEW and especially new to the cRIO, and I am just getting accustomed to how things work.

I have read most of the "Getting Started" and such manuals, but none of them progress deeply enough to help me with my specific project. I am just curious if anyone has faced a similar challege trying to get a frequency modulation on the stepper signals, which would mean they could have some guidance as to where I should go or how I should begin tackling my project.

Thank you again though for your suggestion!

Enan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,970 Views)