Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to the fpga compile server

I had the same problem. The FPGA compiler couldn't connect to the compiler server. I have Labview 2009 SP1 (32 bit) with Windows 7 32 bit.

I managed to get it to work by going to services in the control panel in windows and starting NI sevice locator myself. Is there a way to get my computer to do this by itself? I have Zonealarm and i have NI service locator enabled to contact the outside world.

Also i am thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 64 Bit and installing Labview on it. Will i posssibly have the same problem?

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(7,219 Views)

It turned out that i had stopped the process at startup using msconfig. I stopped it to try and save resources, so that my computer would run quicker. Now i've turned it back on, everything is running beautiful.

Message 22 of 31
(7,216 Views)

Hello,

Again, same kind of problem for me. I have worked successfully with LV FPGA on my machine for years now (since 8.0), lately I had a rather large project that started on LV 2009 SP1 then was moved to 2010 with no issue until delivery to customer. Recently I tried a small mod on this project and discovered that I could not compile it anymore (Compile Server error). I did not bother too much as I was planning to upgrade LV and thought that it would be solved with new install of FPGA Module & Xilinx tools.

Now I just updated to both LV 2010 SP1 and LV 2011, all drivers have been updated too (like NI-RIO 4.0, etc.). I'm running Win XP 32, and in the C:\NIFPGA\Programs Folder I now have Xilinx10_1, Xilinx11_5 and Xilinx12_4 tools. Since I am still having problems I have momentarily disabled the firewall (although all was functional with Firewall active before problems first started).

If I try to launch the Compile Worker locally (Start menu\Programs\National Instruments\FPGA\FPGA Compile Worker), it runs (icon in taskbar), but warns me after a while that it could not connect to Compile Server. If I open it, it is indeed in "Trying to connect" state, and stays so for ever. I have included below the CompileWorker.exe log file (from C:\Program Files\National Instruments\FPGA\CompileWorker directory)

Now if I run the Compile Farm configuration utility (Start menu\Programs\National Instruments\FPGA\FPGA Compile Server Configuration), I can reach the dialog to specify whether or not to allow users to connect remotely, but whatever I chose, pressing the OK button triggers the error message:

"There was an error connecting to the farm. Error: kNIFarmResultServerNotResponding LabVIEW Error Code: -123011"

Note 1: About remote compilation : If I chose in LabVIEW (Tools\Options...\FPGA Module) to connect to a network compile server (another machine of our local network with LV 2011 FPGA installed) instead of the local compile server, I can successfully compile a trivial FPGA code (VI with a single indicator, no other code !) with no issue (provided, of course, that the remote Compile Server is configured to accept remote connections).

Note 2: I have already tried repair-installs of both Xilinx Tools and LabVIEW FPGA Module 2011.

Note 3: I have checked the state of the NI Application Web Server service... There might be a problem here. It is set as Automatic Startup Type, but it is not running. If I try to manually start it from the Services Windows tool, I get an error message :

"Could not start the NI Application Web Server service on Local Computer.

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"

Not so good I guess... But I have checked that, for instance, the Example Finder in LV works fine (as I think it also needs to have this service running)...

Any hint about what could be next troubleshooting step ?

Regards,

Vincent

Message 23 of 31
(6,973 Views)

Small update:

Indeed the NI Application Web Server service is not running: the page localhost:3580 cannot be displayed by Firefox: "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:3580"

Can this be related to the following Knowledge Base entry ?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2AF18FBF04D29104862578D8004E4A6B

I will then try re-repairing (!) both Xilinx tools and LV 2011 FPGA Module (few hours to go in this process...)

Still if anyone has another idea in the meantime... 😉

Cheers,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 31
(6,971 Views)

If it indeed is the same issue as the one outlined in the KB that you linked, then you only need to re-repair ONE of the distributions to get the Web Server registered. You do not need to re-repair all of your distributions.

Please post back if the repair succeeded in solving your issue.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 31
(6,966 Views)

Thanks for this precision Jared !

After 2 hours of repair-installing Xilinx 11.5 tools (and this is with SSD hard disk !), I could then retry and... now everything is back to normal. Both NI Application Web Server and NI System Web Server services are running (not sure which one is relevant here, if not both), and localhost:3580 is responding to Firefox. I also re-activated the Windows Firewall and it does not interfere in any way, I can compile locally back again...

I have to admit there was one thing I did not mention above, which made me quite sure I was dealing with the above KnowledgeBase issue:

- When problems first started I could not even launch the Compile Worker (I don't remember the exact error at present time)

- After upgrading to LV 2010 SP1 and LV 2011 the problem was still the same

- After first repair-install the problem changed, and was as described in my first post above: Compile Worker running but unable to connect to Compile Server. And the NI Web Server service was dead.

- So after second repair-install it works fully again

Much probably some LV FPGA file got corrupted at some point once (I suspect in Xilinx tools 11.5 for the following reason) Unfortunately this file was not updated by new release of LabVIEW as it was common for all involved distributions (that's the reason...) Then a repair-install fixed this file but introduced a new problem with the Web Service as mentioned in the KnowledgeBase cited in the previous post, requiring a repair-(repair-install) Smiley Wink !

One day lost but still learning...

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(6,960 Views)

I have a similar problem like this.

I do the compilation in a PXI, windows 7. I use the local compiler.

But one of my PXI's always start searching for the compile server and cant connect. I have tried several methods to solve this, the only one that works for me is uninstall all NI software, and reinstall it.

I did it today for the third time.

So when i need to change the FPGA code, I do it on the PXI that compiles without trouble, and when the code is in final version, i copy it to the PXI with the problem. So i need to wait for times with low workload.

In my understanding, in that PXI with the problem, i manually flash the new bitfile, and then RUN the new code.

But the NI software tries to compile, and never finds the local compile server.

When the NI SW is removed and reinstalled, the first time always compile the code correctly, but if there is a need of changes to the code, the problems arise again.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(4,596 Views)

Well I have absolutely no idea if it might help, but do you have any antivirus active on your Win 7 system ? Did you try disabling it during re-installation and even later, while compiling ? The antivirus might (does actually as I suspect) sometimes behave in a silly way with FPGA, probably due to the several thousands of binary files that might produce almost any kind of digital signatures...

I personally tend to "forget" about momentarily de-activating antivirus when installing new software. But installation of LabVIEW FPGA is really touchy, and it's not so rare that I need to repeat the install because the first one wasn't totally successful (no error message at install but some functionalities broken). In this case I ALWAYS disable the antivirus for the second try. Not sure it really helps but I don't feel like having to install a third time.

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(4,549 Views)

Can you compile with the NI Cloud Compile service?

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(4,501 Views)

Thanks Andrew!

I did not know that there was that option for our license agreement.
Next time i will try to use this op

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(4,463 Views)