From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up an external HD of a standard desktop PC for use as RT target

Hi,

I am looking to set up an external HD connected to a standard desktop PC for use as a real-time OS target interfacing with LabVIEW. I already have the USB boot drive configured, but there are a couple ambiguities in the online step-by-step that I would like to clear up before formatting the external HD in reliance format.

In the setup, it states that the 'first RT-compatible partition on the drive' will be formatted. I am wondering how to mark which drive is RT-compatible, since it seems that we mark the target drive as reliance AFTER erasing and formatting it. (note: neither my internal nor external HD drives are partitioned. The internal one is entirely running Windows, the external one is to be solely the RT target.)

In summary, I need to ensure that I don't erase and reformat my main drive running Windows. Instead I need to ensure that the USB boot drive recognizes the external HD as the "first RT-compatible partition," and I am unclear on how to do so.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,418 Views)

Hello ksakaki,

What type of external hard drive are you trying to run an RTOS on? USB connections are not deterministic enough to support Real-Time communication so I am a little confused about your setup that you have described. Do you have a real-time controller to run your RTOS on? If not, you can simulate RT targets within LabVIEW to begin developing before you have RT hardware to work with. The following article walks you through how to simulate hardware:

Simulate FPGA Hardware Targets Using the Project Explorer with LabVIEW

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F466AD83D24F041D8625714900709583?OpenDocument

Erin D.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,395 Views)