From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specifying FPGA I/O items with NI 9853 CAN module

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I’m developing a cRIO FPGA application that will use identical code to communicate over multiple CAN buses (at least 4).

I’d like to place this code in a re-entrant SubVI rather than having to replicate it N times.  With other types of module I’ve done this by wiring up the FPGA I/O items (as described in the LabVIEW help here).  With the NI 9853 module, though, this doesn’t seem to work – I can access properties and methods in this way, but not the I/O itself.

Another user posted about this same problem back in January (see here).

I’m using LabVIEW 2010 SP1 and NI-RIO 4.0.0.  Am I missing something obvious, or is this a bug?  And it is a bug, please could someone tell me whether this problem is still present in LabVIEW 2011?

Thanks!

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,188 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IanC_

Just in case anyone else has this problem in future...

NI UK have verified that this is a genuine fault and is still present in LabVIEW 2011.  It has been raised as CAR #329439.

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,149 Views)

Has this fault been resolved?

I seem to be encountering the same fault in Labview 2013 SP1 with Real-Time and FPGA modules.

I can access methods and properties using the FPGA I/O Method & Properties Nodes, but I cannot access the I/O through the FPGA I/O Node VI. It seems as though the input/output items when using an FPGA I/O Node VI is the Data Type and not the Data itself.

The only way to access the data through the FPGA I/O Node is to explicitly define the I/O referance in the VI by Right-Clicking and navigating to the NI 9853 module.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,940 Views)

Last week I submitted a Service Request to NI on the subject. They reproduced this issue in LV2014. Reply from Application Engineer handling the request:

" ...

The CAR has not yet been resolved, however it hasn’t been closed or discarded. This issue has already been escalated again in 2014 and a R&D group is currently working on it, but they don’t have defined a date yet to release a solution to the issue. Regarding to a possible work around for the issue, unfortunately there is not such a work around by now, the answer to the problem currenlty is not to use Name Control or constant, however re-entrant sub-VIs can then not be used. Separate VI needed for each CAN bus.

I apologies there is not a possible solution to this right now, however the case (CAR#329439) will stay active in hands of R&D and hopefully they will find a solution to the issue. 

..."

It would be helpful to hear directly from R&D on status of this CAR ...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,641 Views)